Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is lining the same as backing? >
  • Is lining the same as backing?

• Is lining the same as backing?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:10 PM

(notice my avatar). The pattern does call for 8.75 and has 3 lengths 27.5x96. I suggest you pick the backing to be some of the same that you use on the front. In my case I used the same muslin for backing as on the front. The Ricky Tims hand dyes are muslin. By the way, if anyone is interested in this pattern, it is on clearance on judys website. It is one of my favorite quilts Ive done. I have shown it at several quilt shows and have ribbons. I find it a coincidence that the calico cat blog has shown it in EXACTLY the same 2 fabrics and used in the same places. I know it isnt mine though because the quilting is different. And oh yes, lining and backing are the same thing!
    Old 07-27-2011, 01:34 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks for the info on the pattern :)
    Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 AM

Thanks for the help, all! When I saw your response Linda, I thought you might be calicocat, I had drooled over her version online. It's a wonderful choice of fabrics. I'm thinking of doing something similar using a bold, multicolored batik with a lighter coordinating batik for the background.
    Old 07-28-2011, 06:17 AM

The hand dyes are fabrics I got directly from Ricky. The ones mentioned in the post by the other person were not authentic hand dyes. They were printed by FreeSpirit with Rickys permission a few years ago and were meant to be similar to the hand dyes. I too have lots of those too! When I made my quilt, I just cut everything with no placement plan in mind and it all worked out. I only changed out one corner. The variety I used was the Caveman fabric. Since I just used one fabric I think I actually used less fabric than if I bought individual colors. Im also making some Hawaiian blocks with some of the fabrics. I love the variation in the hand dyes. I get a lot out of the yardage. The only way to get his fabric is directly through his website. Yes it is pricey but like I mentioned, I get a lot of mileage from it. Best value is to buy the 5 yard bundle.