Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A little damper on my retreat

I've been so looking forward to this retreat & then I go and get a cold!! So far it is just in my nose & hopefully it won't go to my head. If my head gets all stuffed up then I have a little more trouble functioning. Of course, hubby says well you'll have to stay home. Wrongo!! If I have to crawl to my sewing machine & they have to prop me up I am going!!!!! Silly husband doesn't understand us quilters at all!

Blog Entries
    hope you start feeling better soon, an old old thing to do for a cold really works

after your shower, put vicks vapor rub on the bottom of your feet and put on white socks, also put vicks vapor rub on your chest, nose and in your nose, really works

Hope you start feeling better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzy
    I've been so looking forward to this retreat & then I go and get a cold!! So far it is just in my nose & hopefully it won't go to my head. If my head gets all stuffed up then I have a little more trouble functioning. Of course, hubby says well you'll have to stay home. Wrongo!! If I have to crawl to my sewing machine & they have to prop me up I am going!!!!! Silly husband doesn't understand us quilters at all!

Blog Entries
    Oh, what a bummer! Do the Vicks thing, take care of yourself, and have a blast! Hope you get to feeling better very quickly!

Power Poster
    I love that Lemon Cold relief in the packages for a stuffy head. I use 1/2 a pkg. in a mug of hot water (I sneak in 2 tsp. sugar) and it makes me feel almost human again. Since I use it half strength, I can use it more often.

Husbands just don't understand about retreats. Make sure you take your medicine of choice with you and pace yourself. If you start feeling really bad take some medicine and a little rest then start again.

mltquilt

You go girl. Have a great time then come back and tell us about it.

I heard that to take a 20 min hot bath daily can take 4 days off a cold. Haven't tried but what could be more relaxing.
    Good luck with your retreat and cold.

Blog Entries
    I am going on first retreat in a couple of weeks, am looking so forward to it We only use treadle or hand crank machine.

I'm going to my retreat with our guild tomorrow. I feel for you, the last one I went on I had a cold. It was not fun. Along with all the other remedies, get plenty of rest before you go if you can.

awww sorry to hear about your cold, hope you feel better soon, and have fun at the retreat. (never been on one)

As for the vicks on the feet, never heard of that, will have to remember that one (I do put it on chest, under nose and in nose when I get a head or chest cold)

the lemon medicine stuff, love that too, but it puts me right to sleep LOL

Hope you feel better and have fun

I hope you get to feeling better so you can fully enjoy your retreat.

Blog Entries
    Vicks is the thing ! It has been around a very long time; I posted the other day that a couple of years ago I was the most sick I've ever been with a cold...according to dr. it wasn't the flu...just a cold. Put Vicks on the bottom of my feet, white socks, Vicks on my chest covered with a t shirt and then pj's.....condition improved greatly !

Do whatever makes you feel better and GO to retreat ! Once you get there you'll feel better I'm sure ! Have a great time.

One word, Dayquill!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Honeynga
    Vicks is the thing ! It has been around a very long time; I posted the other day that a couple of years ago I was the most sick I've ever been with a cold...according to dr. it wasn't the flu...just a cold. Put Vicks on the bottom of my feet, white socks, Vicks on my chest covered with a t shirt and then pj's.....condition improved greatly !

Do whatever makes you feel better and GO to retreat ! Once you get there you'll feel better I'm sure ! Have a great time.
    Going to remember this one! How much do your slop on??

My famorite home remedy for a cold is a hot toddy.

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    Rats to the cold thing. hope you enjoyed the retreat beside the cold. :)

Quote Originally Posted by lynnsim
    My famorite home remedy for a cold is a hot toddy.
    Mine too, but she has to be able to drive her sewing machine!!LOL! (Mine must be pretty potent!)

Yes, Vicks Works very well. You don't have to be "slipping & sliding" for it to work on the feet, just massage a little on the soles. Who cares how it works, only that it does, although if you look at foot massage charts, it may have something to do with the centers of your body that receive energy from your feet.(?)
    Also, if you use a nasal spray-rinse, it will help clean out the nasal passages & all of the sinus congestion.
    And, it may be to late for it in your case, but I have used "Zicam" or zinc based cold meds to help shorten the length of a cold. Just DO NOT take this on an empty stomach. You will be barfing it up, and causing a whole other issue. (Yes it happened to me.)

Good Luck & happy quilting,
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    One word, Dayquill!!!
    This is what hubby & the kids use. At night they dose themselves with NyQuil and rub Vicks on their chests and backs and wear a t-shirt to bed. Chlortrimeton (I have no idea how to spell it) also works.

My mother & grandmother rubbed us down with Vicks and pinned a dishtowel around us.

I've never heard about rubbing Vicks on your feet. I wear cotton socks to bed quite often because my feet cramp if they get the least little bit cold.

I hope to goodness that you get over your cold virus before you go on your retreat. I know I will probably get slammed for this but oh well, I certainly would not go to a public place unless it was absolutely necessary simply because of spreading those cold virus germs to others.

I also hope you get over your cold and ENJOY yourself! I am also of the "don't get others sick" camp too. Sorry, but a cold that one can get over may turn into a major health issue for another.

I've heard about the Vicks on your feet for cough. Also, Halls cough drops really work controlling that tickle in your throat.

Have fun at the retreat.

I'm happy to say that I am feeling better & I think my cold is on the way out. I've been trying to get more rest & taking tylenol. Most of the time the other meds don't work for me it seems like they just make me hyper & then I can't sleep at all. I don't want to give my cold to anyone either but I think I'll be well enough that I shouldn't spread it to anyone else. I also picked up my new machine today but won't be able to play with it until next week. I have to work all day at the Dome for football tomorrow & then make sure I have everything I need for the retreat & load the truck. I think I'll enjoy playing with it more when I know I don't have to be trying to get things ready. The weather is still suppose to be nice so should be able to take a break & take a little walk.