Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A little house quilt block roof problem >

A little house quilt block roof problem

A little house quilt block roof problem

Old 04-29-2019, 12:21 PM

True not all houses have pointy roofs right? I’m just making it more true to life
Old 04-29-2019, 03:27 PM
Gay

Like you I've never been able to get all my triangles like this to fit the same. Using a paper piecing method would help a lot (fold the sky section back & sew next to the fold). Or else use 5 1/4" squares on each corner (snowballing), draw a diagonal line & sew inside the line, then 1/2" from that line, and cut the corner off. You will have a decent size HST for use elsewhere.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]612282[/ATTACH]

stitch on the dotted line, cut along the blue line.
Attached Thumbnails 0001.jpg  
Old 04-29-2019, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to this board.

I haven't made any house blocks, not what I really like. You have some nice help here.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:34 AM

Hello! I am sorry that my post on the house block roofs wasn't very clear. I will go back to the blog and explain it better and add more pictures.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:34 AM

Welcome to the community - you're in for a long fulfilling ride! A lesson to be learned from this top is to try out a pattern on scrap fabric first. Often time a pattern maker's instructions need to be tweaked to fit our way of making the block. Then proceed to cutting and making the 'real' top. But, these orphan blocks are not to go to waste. Pick up a pizza box (usually the local shop will give you one for free) and store the orphans in it. The cardboard works nicely to wick any moisture away from the block and they lay flat. Then, whenever you need a quick gift (or a bag for gift wrapping) grab a block and stick it on a plain tote bag. I make up a few white, beige and black ones on the days when I want to sew but don't want to sew. The recipient thinks you are great and you are basically getting rid of your practice things - win, win win.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
Welcome to the community - you're in for a long fulfilling ride! A lesson to be learned from this top is to try out a pattern on scrap fabric first. Often time a pattern maker's instructions need to be tweaked to fit our way of making the block. Then proceed to cutting and making the 'real' top. But, these orphan blocks are not to go to waste. Pick up a pizza box (usually the local shop will give you one for free) and store the orphans in it. The cardboard works nicely to wick any moisture away from the block and they lay flat. Then, whenever you need a quick gift (or a bag for gift wrapping) grab a block and stick it on a plain tote bag. I make up a few white, beige and black ones on the days when I want to sew but don't want to sew. The recipient thinks you are great and you are basically getting rid of your practice things - win, win win.
i've used a pizza box for years, but i really love your gift idea!
Old 05-01-2019, 11:02 AM

I love your idea!! And luckily for me this was all scrap fabric to begin with! But I like the idea of turning the practice blocks into gifts. Per my 7 year olds request I used one of the little houses and made a mini quilt for his room 🙂
Old 05-02-2019, 12:30 AM

I like little houses. Do you have pictures?
Old 05-02-2019, 11:27 AM

My quilt top is done, I would post a photo but I don’t know how!!