Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A little house quilt block roof problem

A little house quilt block roof problem

Hi, I am new to the board and a new quilter. I started about a year ago and am currently working on a very low stakes scrap busting quilt using this tutorial (https://sewsassybypaula.net/2018/07/...lock-tutorial/) to make little house quilt blocks. My problem is the instructions for attaching the roof pieces is very imprecise and it turns out different every time I do it. Iím not concerned with it being perfect because this is largely for practice, but does anyone know of a method that will help me attach the roof triangles without having to start over every time and just guess?! Thanks!!

I would not use her directions for the roof section and instead use this method to make flying geese:
    https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/flyi...ptions-2821434 There is a link to the tutorial on how to make them but this site gives the sizes you need to cut the fabric. Because the flying geese are twice as wide as tall, you may have to sew another rectangular section above the door, if you don't want the roof to end equal to the height of the door. But with this method there is no waste, and you get four identical roofs at once.
    Hope this helps.

Thank you! I love how the little houses look so Iím sure I will be making another one of these and I will do the flying geese instead! Thanks for the tip, it makes much more sense! Unfortunately I have already done all my cutting so I need to figure out a way to use what I have

After looking at that tutorial; here's what I would do...

Fold the house block in half to make a crease down the middle,
    then open it up and place right side up.
    Then place the triangles right side down and overlap them by 1/8th to 1/4 inch....
    so there are two little points up on top. Center these points on the crease, then center the bottom
    overlapped pieces on the crease as well. Meaning center the crease in the middle of the overlapped pieces shadow.
    That will make it straight, if you need to, pull the point section down to make sure it's centered, then slide it up carefully. Note the distance the points are above the house block and make that the same measurement on all your blocks. Good luck, let me know if that works!

I love house blocks! Welcome to the board!

Another possibility would be to draw it up as a paper pieced pattern,
    and let that technique's precision, build you perfect houses!!

Good Luck ... and Welcome!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Power Poster
    Welcome to the board!

I just spent over an hour fiddling with that - and have decided that if the squares were cut at 5.25 inches instead of 5 inches, that it would work out much better.

If using 5.25 inch squares - I drew a line about 1-3/16 inch from the bottom of the rectangle and lined up the edge of the triangle with that and had the ears/tails sticking out about 3/8 inch on the straight edge of the triangle.

I don't know what to tell you about making 5 inch squares work - perhaps cut all the other pieces down a little bit - instead of a 9 x 6 rectangle, make it 9 x 5-3/4?

And then take off 1/8 inch on the two pieces that flank the door?

I do not know if those suggestions will work - I have not tried them out.

I do know that using a 5.25 inch square worked much better than a 5.0 inch square.

Also - if you press the seams of the "roof" towards the roof - it will make the house stand out and the background recede.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by bearisgray; 04-29-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Thank you all for the replies!! Iíve been experimenting too and I think Iím getting there (I agree that slightly larger square for the roof would give more wiggle room), each one is slightly better than the last but still not perfect. Lots of my houses will be without nice points on the roof once the top is pieced together. Can I pretend itís a ďwonky house quiltĒ? Haha. I will probably have to offset the rows somehow to avoid having to match seams since I think all my houses are slightly different sizes. Itís all just a big excitement at this point! Good thing my kids donít look too closely

Power Poster
    Some people put "streets" between the rows of houses and "trees" between the houses.

Blog Entries
    Hey, some houses are really wonky anyway! so why not?
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

True not all houses have pointy roofs right? Iím just making it more true to life

Gay
    Blog Entries
    Like you I've never been able to get all my triangles like this to fit the same. Using a paper piecing method would help a lot (fold the sky section back & sew next to the fold). Or else use 5 1/4" squares on each corner (snowballing), draw a diagonal line & sew inside the line, then 1/2" from that line, and cut the corner off. You will have a decent size HST for use elsewhere.
    Name:  0001.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  6.6 KB

stitch on the dotted line, cut along the blue line.

Welcome to this board.

I haven't made any house blocks, not what I really like. You have some nice help here.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Hello! I am sorry that my post on the house block roofs wasn't very clear. I will go back to the blog and explain it better and add more pictures.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the community - you're in for a long fulfilling ride! A lesson to be learned from this top is to try out a pattern on scrap fabric first. Often time a pattern maker's instructions need to be tweaked to fit our way of making the block. Then proceed to cutting and making the 'real' top. But, these orphan blocks are not to go to waste. Pick up a pizza box (usually the local shop will give you one for free) and store the orphans in it. The cardboard works nicely to wick any moisture away from the block and they lay flat. Then, whenever you need a quick gift (or a bag for gift wrapping) grab a block and stick it on a plain tote bag. I make up a few white, beige and black ones on the days when I want to sew but don't want to sew. The recipient thinks you are great and you are basically getting rid of your practice things - win, win win.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klswift View Post
    Welcome to the community - you're in for a long fulfilling ride! A lesson to be learned from this top is to try out a pattern on scrap fabric first. Often time a pattern maker's instructions need to be tweaked to fit our way of making the block. Then proceed to cutting and making the 'real' top. But, these orphan blocks are not to go to waste. Pick up a pizza box (usually the local shop will give you one for free) and store the orphans in it. The cardboard works nicely to wick any moisture away from the block and they lay flat. Then, whenever you need a quick gift (or a bag for gift wrapping) grab a block and stick it on a plain tote bag. I make up a few white, beige and black ones on the days when I want to sew but don't want to sew. The recipient thinks you are great and you are basically getting rid of your practice things - win, win win.
    i've used a pizza box for years, but i really love your gift idea!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T Ė is it True? H Ė is it Helpful? I Ė is it Inspiring? N Ė is it Necessary? K Ė is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I love your idea!! And luckily for me this was all scrap fabric to begin with! But I like the idea of turning the practice blocks into gifts. Per my 7 year olds request I used one of the little houses and made a mini quilt for his room 🙂

I like little houses. Do you have pictures?

My quilt top is done, I would post a photo but I donít know how!!