Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Little Specks of blood on my quilt. >

Little Specks of blood on my quilt.

Little Specks of blood on my quilt.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by gal288
As a hand appliquer, I am always jabbing myself and getting blood on my blocks.

I was told years ago that your own saliva will take out blood. It works, on new blood anyway, not sure on dried.

I usually immediately wet the spot with my saliva, and wash in cold water. Presto, the spot is gone.

Don't know if it will work for you, try wetting the spot with cold water, then your saliva, wait a couple of seconds and then wash again, repeat if you need to.

Hope it works, let us know for future reference.
I do the same. Taking care of it immediately is the key.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:02 PM

I was told years ago that your own saliva will take out blood. It works, on new blood anyway, not sure on dried.

I usually immediately wet the spot with my saliva, and wash in cold water. Presto, the spot is gone.

Don't know if it will work for you, try wetting the spot with cold water, then your saliva, wait a couple of seconds and then wash again, repeat if you need to.

DITTO - I only learned this trick this year by accident from one of the quilters in our group that is older than me, I'm 66, so she isn't terribly old lol. She was hand quilting at our group and pricked her finger, I told her I would get her a wet cloth to get it out and she told me about the saliva. It actually worked, I couldn't believe it but I saw it. I've tried it a couple of times since and bingo the blood was gone. I don't know how it would work since the blood has dried on the quilt but it's work a try.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:04 PM

That happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Someone suggested that I use hydrogen peroxide to take it out. I just dipped a q-tip into the peroxide and rubbed it on the spot. The blood came right out. I was amazed and very thankful as it was a comfort quilt I had made for a lady with cancer and I was in a hurry to get it mailed to her.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:04 PM

That happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Someone suggested that I use hydrogen peroxide to take it out. I just dipped a q-tip into the peroxide and rubbed it on the spot. The blood came right out. I was amazed and very thankful as it was a comfort quilt I had made for a lady with cancer and I was in a hurry to get it mailed to her.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:12 PM

Peroxide works for dried blood that has not been washed or dried.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:29 PM

I use the little brown bottle of peroxide....Dollar store variety. Dab it on...maybe a couple of times. Works for me.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:15 PM

saliva or H2O2.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
Of course I didn't notice it at the time, but when I was looking at a quilt I'd made the other day, I noticed tiny little specks of blood on it from where I had obviously pricked my finger with the needle. Has that ever happened to any of you? and if so, did you try to wash it out or did you just leave it?

My Mother is on a blood thinner...the nurse who draws test blood samples told her to use Hydrogen Peroxide to take the blood out of her shirt when Mom had bled out on it....We used a cotton swab to dab just the blood and it worked wonders...dab let set a min the wash immediately...dbl check spots BEFORE drying and repeat if necess. Hope this helps, Paulett
Old 05-15-2011, 09:17 PM

OXY-CLEAN

not dollar store brand... it is about 3.00 a bottle. spray. let it set, if does not come out spray again maybe 2-3 times. stain will come out, blood, coffee, red sauce, it is the best. after it is out you can saturate with a damp cloth. continue your work, then machine wash. :) try it. I suggested this to another ladie and it sure worked, said she will never be without it. Cotton is cotton, People have done harsh things to cotton in quilts. they seem to survive. :)