Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: living in the greater Edmonton area

Hi form Florida. I have belonged to our American Sewing Guild for the past twenty years. We cover central FL and for convenience, meet in smaller neighborhood groups. There's nothing like sewing with friends. And boy, do you learn a lot. Do you have a local newspaper? Maybe you can put an article in there. Or try a note up on the local market bulletin board. You'd be surprised how quickly others will want to join you. Let us know if you have any luck.

Check out the quilt shop in st albert. It's fabulous and the staff are very friendly and knowledgeable. I will be back in edmonton at the end of March and can hardly wait to go there again! There's also a great one in southern Edmonton but I haven't been to that one yet. Hear that it is great too. Have fun.

Sounds wonderful. Hope you find a quilting buddy or two. I have my sis and sometimes a friend comes over. Makes it nice.
    Welcome to the board.

I am hoping to find one or two. I am going to try a couple of the suggestions. We will see if it works, I am hopeful anyway. It will encourage me to get some of it cleaned up and stuff. I have been procrastinating on some if it. Just hoping I think that it will do itself.

Quote Originally Posted by cutebuns
    I have been thinking of taking a class, just when ever I look, can't decide what one to take and at what level I should be at. I have never taken a quilting course, and I have my own habits, not that some of them don't need to be cleaned up a little, but I have heard some instructors have their pet peeves. That and when I look at what they want me to bring to class, it seem excessive to what I use at home, I am wondering if I really want to carry all that around with me. Basically I am really shy and have a hard time just walking into someplace like that by myself. so most of the rest is just an excuse.
    May I suggest something to you. It would probably be very beneficial for you to take a beginner's course first, even though you have quilted on your own before. In the beginner's class you will learn the basics that will give you a good foundation. And then you can go on from there. (Also, since you are shy and probably lack confidence, being in a class that is not a complete "foreign language" to you, will build up your confidence and make you feel more comfortable.)

I'm a shy person too, but I've found a way to ease myself into a group or class that really works for me. When I register for a class or event, I get there early -- sometimes I'm the first one to arrive. That way I get to meet the teacher/presenter one on one. Usually I "apologize" for being early and that helps break the ice. It's much more comfortable to meet the others as they trickle in. This may sound silly, but it works for me. Try it at least once and see how it's not so bad. The fun you have and the things you learn far ourweigh your lack of confidence and your shyness. Good luck and happy quilting.

Thank you very much Gail, that is wonderful advice. I am not sure the beginners course is where I should be, though it probably wouldn't hurt me any, when I say I have done some quilting, I have done more than 20 quilts and they were all done in less than a 2 year span. I also have excessive sewing experience, that is where some of my bad habits come from, like I like to iron and not press, but it is something that I am working on. not that I don't expect to learn something taking the course, for me it would be more of a social thing than anything, I think you can learn something from the newest quilter to the oldest quilter.

Welcome cutebuns from the Piedmont of North Carolina.
    Your sewing room sounds wonderful.
    So much room to design and create.

a few pics, but I have to update them as I have done some cleaning since I took them, you can see most of my table now

Attached Images Attached Images

a few more, the shelves will hopefully have a bunch more fabric once I empty some more boxes. I have more pegs on my board as well but still need a bunch more, I have almost 400 colors of embroidery thread and it is hard to get them someplace where I can see to choose them when I am working.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2