Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Location of all quilt shops in USA

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Quote Originally Posted by bejay28
    ... Too bad they don't put together a shop hop on the net!!!!
    http://www.fabshophop.com/

it's been going on for ages. several online hops each year. almost every month.
    WOW!!! I didn't know! Thank you!!!! I wanna play tooo!!!!

The Cotton Patch
    110 W. Broadway St. Owatonna MN 55060
    507-451-5979
    www.thecottonpatchquilts.com
    [email protected]
    Mon.-Fri. 9am-5:30pm, Thurs. 9am-7pm, Sat. 9am-5pm

Power Poster
    My understanding of this is:

(1) dmackey has offered to compile a list of quilt shops and stores/shops that sell fabric/quilting supplies that are open to the public

(2) the information will be coming ONLY from board members - the information will only be as accurate and complete as to what dmackey receives from the members and her transcription of the info

(3) reviews of the shop, service, etc. will NOT be included

(4) specialties of the shop - such as civil war prints, 1930's reproductions, etc, may be included

Now I'm confused as to how to make #3 and #4 compatible

I think, almost by definition, that a list of this sort will always be incomplete.

The way I see it....it's not hard....just post "YOUR" favorite quilt shop in "YOUR" area..... right?

I am simply compiling a list of shops that members are aware of that are currently in business and their locations for those who travel or for those who were not aware of what was in their area, so they can easily find the shops and I have offered to keep it updated. That's all, nothing more, nothing less. I certainly hope it is better than nothing.

We all have had problems with shops at one time or another, but that doesn't mean they should be excluded, and no one is required to include all available in their area.

I would like to see this thread go back to it's original intent, and that is a request for members to send me information requested in my original post about current shops, so I can compile the list.

Thanks!

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    My understanding of this is:

(1) dmackey has offered to compile a list of quilt shops and stores/shops that sell fabric/quilting supplies that are open to the public

(2) the information will be coming ONLY from board members - the information will only be as accurate and complete as to what dmackey receives from the members and her transcription of the info

(3) reviews of the shop, service, etc. will NOT be included

(4) specialties of the shop - such as civil war prints, 1930's reproductions, etc, may be included

Now I'm confused as to how to make #3 and #4 compatible

I think, almost by definition, that a list of this sort will always be incomplete.
    Yes, it will always be incomplete, but it will be the most comprehensive available if there is good participation and it will have dates of inclusion.

I don't understand your confusion between 3 and 4. Three is judgemental and four is any specialty offered.

Diane

Members,

I simply offered to make a list of CURRENTLY exisiting quilt shops, for free, kept updated, and asked for your help to create this list by sending me the local info on the places you shop.

It seems my request is creating quite a bit of unintended controversy and a simple request is turning into a debate.

Please continue to send me posts as outlined in my original message and keep this thread simple, so I don't regret making the offer. There has been more posts debating this list than there has been requested information.

Thank you kindly for your consideration.

Diane

Power Poster
    I was thinking in terms of expressions like

GREAT selection of civil war prints!!!! :D :D :D (which is - in a way - judgemental)

as compared to

Approximately 10 feet of shelving devoted to civil war prints - mostly by (manufacturer name) - (and this is boring but probably not judgemental)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shequilts
    Have you looked at the book Quilter's Tavel Companion? I keep mine in the car at all times. 'Can't tell you how many wonderful shops I've happened to find.
    Just saw this book in my book club magazine a few weeks ago and was thinking of getting it but w/ so many shops closing I was wondering how soon it would be out dated.
    p.s. didn't we have another thread going w/ quilt shops listed by state? Appreciate you wanting to complete a list for us just hate to see you do something thats already going....maybe we could combine them?

Blog Entries
    Diane I think its wonderful that you are attempting to take this task on and I for one will very apprecitive... :-D

Blog Entries
    Thanks dmackey,
    Quilter's Refuge
    1000 Beltline Road S.W. Ste. V2
    Decatur, Al 35601
    (256) 552-9410
    M-F 10am-6pm
    S 10am-3pm
    web address: http://www.quiltersrefuge.com
    They offer BOM, classes, Gammill dealer/repair & quilting services, they are on facebook.
    Also participating in the Quilt Shop Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I was thinking in terms of expressions like

GREAT selection of civil war prints!!!! :D :D :D (which is - in a way - judgemental)

as compared to

Approximately 10 feet of shelving devoted to civil war prints - mostly by (manufacturer name) - (and this is boring but probably not judgemental)
    Bearisgray,

I would change it to: Civil War prints

I intend to have a column in the spreadsheet for SPECIALTY/SERVICES, and will keep it short and sweet.

Thanks,

Diane

What, exactly, is a Google spreadsheet and what is needed to access/copy/save same? I've never heard of it and am far from a computer novice. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    People, Places & Quilts (2 locations)

Downtown Charleston, South Carolina
    Located in an old, neighborhood grocery store at
    1 Henrietta St.
    Charleston, SC
    (843) 937-9333
    Mon - Fri 10 am - 5:30 pm
    Saturday 10 am - 5 pm
    3rd Thursday 10 am - 8 pm

Take I-26 exit at Meeting St./Visitor info exit… drive along Meeting St. several blocks, turn left onto Henrietta St. (after Charlotte, before Calhoun). Shop is at the end of the block. Small parking lot is next to shop.

Downtown Summerville, South Carolina
    Located in an old hardware store at
    129 W. Richardson Ave.
    (843) 871-8872
    Mon - Sat 10 am - 5 pm

Take I-26, exit 199-A that puts you onto 17-A/Main St. Come across the RR tracks; take a right at the first light. We are in the first block, right hand side (look for the yellow rockers).

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    What, exactly, is a Google spreadsheet and what is needed to access/copy/save same? I've never heard of it and am far from a computer novice. Thanks.
    On Google, you choose DOCUMENTS and then choose the type. I use the spreadsheet quite a bit. I have my class reunion group database on there, family birthdays, addresses, and I use the documents to store all my files that I need to access outside of my home computer.

You can share the documents with others or make it public. You can control who has access to changes too.

It is a very easy way to share info with others without creating a web page, and it gives me a way to back up or store files that I wouldn't want to lose on my hard drive.

Diane

And how would we all access this info? Do we have to have a Google log-in? And how do we copy your info to our own hard drive?

Here is a partial list of the quilt shops in Western Washington state:

http://www.washingtonquiltshophop.co...ing_Shops.html

Also I have to add one that is not a quilt shop: it is the La Conner Quilt & Textile Museum:

http://www.laconnerquilts.com/

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bejay28
    The way I see it....it's not hard....just post "YOUR" favorite quilt shop in "YOUR" area..... right?
    That is a fantastic place for her to get a start! Thank you for grasping that. Hopefully the drama behind a very kindhearted offer will stop.

Thank you Diane for attempting to assist the board members with this type of information. I know I will have a great appreciation for it. Before I went on vacation last month, I had to hit the net and search out quilt stores for each place we were going to. How nice it would have been to "flip open" your link and QUICKLY see what was where.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dmackey
    It seems my request is creating quite a bit of unintended controversy and a simple request is turning into a debate.
    we are unanimously grateful for your generous offer.
    :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by JJean
    Here is a partial list of the quilt shops in Western Washington state:

http://www.washingtonquiltshophop.co...ing_Shops.html

Also I have to add one that is not a quilt shop: it is the La Conner Quilt & Textile Museum:

http://www.laconnerquilts.com/
    Hi JJean,

Please send the name, exact street address, town, state, zip, phone and web address. I am not using current internet lists because I cannot validate if they exist or not without a lot of work. I need the requested info from those of you who shop at the locations so we know it is an exisiting business.

I work two jobs and cannot spend the time searching the web or making phone calls. If members send the requested information, then I can copy and paste into a dated spread sheet and that will reduce the amount of work involved.

Thank you for understanding.

Diane

This list is current. The shop hop just happened. Changes are noted on the bottom of the page. I visited 16 of the shops and have friends who collected patterns from each of these shops. It is a usable list.

The Quilters Fix
    1135 N Main St.
    Sheridan, WY
    Ph. 674-0558

Lou's
    166 State Hwy 335
    Sheridan, WY
    Ph.674-9711

Ben Franklin/Ace Hardware
    1447 Coffeen Ave
    Sheridan, WY
    Ph. 672-5889

Wal-mart
    1695 Coffeen Ave
    Sheridan, WY
    Ph. 674-6492

Power Poster
    Can/will you include the area codes, too?

If we're not from the area, we don't have a clue - - -

Hi all,

I live in Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada and I love to shop at CountrySide Fabrics. It is only about 50 miles from where I live and the service is great. You can find it at 1780 Vt Route 105, Newport VT. Their phone number is 802-334-8879. Unfortunately, they don't have a website. Hope this information will be useful. Great idea to compile this list. Thanks.

Thank you soooooooooo much for doing this!!!!

Aunt Nell's Quilt Shop
    1632A Hyland Park Drive
    Pineville, La. 71360
    318-640-5294
    Tues-Fri 10am till 5pm
    Saturday 10am till 2pm
    Over 2,000 bolts
    Tons of Fat Quarters (cut properly)
    Long arm quilting available

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast