Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Locking Stitches Question >

Locking Stitches Question

Locking Stitches Question

Old 08-29-2019, 12:12 AM

Default Locking Stitches Question

Hi everyone! This may seem like a silly question, but, when you are FMQing and take several stitches in one place to lock the stitch, is this the same as backstitching? If I lock stitches in the middle of my quilt and then use my automatic cutters to cut the thread, are my stitches secure? I don't want stitches coming out after all my hard work!! Thanks!

My new Juki TL2010Q is coming today, and I can't wait to continue my practicing on it!
Old 08-29-2019, 12:18 AM

I would think several stitches in one place would lock them in without worry, that's basically just a small knot the machine makes, which I know there are some that actually do put a knot in the beginning of a seam.

Maybe take a piece of scrap, sandwich it up and stitch it like you are going to and then test it to see if they are locked. If they are, then you know you can stitch without worry. If they're not, at least you find out now versus finishing your quilt and the stitches come undone in a few weeks or months.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:23 AM

I have absolutely no idea, but, isn't there a setting to disable this 'lock stitch and cut' function? Lock stitching at the beginning would be a common thing to do surely?

Someone with this machine will help out I'm sure.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:31 AM
Power Poster

I prefer tiny stitches to backstitching. Backstitching is the same size back and forth. the tiny stitches are very difficult to remove [ask me how I know when having to unsew!] The auto cutter does make a knot. It also leaves tails that show on the back. If you snip those off and accidentally cut off the knot, then it is no longer secure. I use the cutter a lot, but not on show quilts.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:31 AM

I say yes! Ever tried to seam rip a section where your stitches are too close or you went on top of each other? If it takes all that effort to fix an accidental error, no way can those stitches come out on their own when you're doing it intentionally.