Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • LOF vs WOF >
  • LOF vs WOF

• LOF vs WOF

Old 06-06-2019, 02:34 AM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    not sure why you want to cut your fabric lengthwise instead of width but cutting it wof. ...
    strips cut on the LOF (warp) don't stretch out of shape.
    they press better, too.

i virtually never use strips cut on the WOF.

when you cut on the warp, your strips won't [warp.]
    well worth the math.
    Old 06-06-2019, 06:02 AM
    Power Poster

The cuts you listed add up to 122.25”
    not sure why you want to cut your fabric lengthwise instead of width but cutting it wof. You have plenty
    i would start with cutting a 40” piece then cut those (10) 4” strips, then the next largest 34” for the (8) 4.25” - the 28” piece for the (8) 3 1/2” strips, etc and work your way down to smallest piece needed.
    If you cut WOF - crosswise - the way I figured it:

You have 3.5 yards of fabric = 126 inches of length

I also have the total of the strips needed to be 122.25 inches.

The advice to start with the widest strips needed and work down to the smallest ones is very practical. Also, read the directions carefully - if you run short on the narrow strips, you may be able to cut leftover pieces from the wider strips - if there are any leftovers.

Can you post a link to the pattern you are using?

I do know that when I cut strips with a ruler, that they are actually a couple of threads wider than the "exact" number due to the width of cutting blade against the ruler and how I place the ruler.

So - if I was going to cut ten 2.0-inch strips, theoretically, I should be able to get it out of 20 inches of fabric. In actuality, if I did not make any mistakes, it would be closer to at least 20.5 inches of fabric used.

Even though the cutting blade is narrow, it's a bit like a saw blade and a bit of fabric "disappears" with each cut.

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-06-2019 at 06:05 AM.
    Old 06-07-2019, 05:30 AM

For those who are a bit math challenged, use graph paper. Mark out a section for a yard of 40" (I round down) fabric.
    Then mark out your pieces in it starting at one corner. Often we need to see it drawn out to have it make sense. As far as using it as LOF or WOF, do you ever use precuts? you don't usually know which way was which, so use it any way. I have even used pieces cut on an angle for the pattern. You just need to be extra careful of the stretch factor.
    Old 06-07-2019, 10:25 AM
    Power Poster

Generally, if one stretches a piece of fabric, there is more give on the crosswise grain (width of fabric) than on the lengthwise grain.
    Old 06-08-2019, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    If you cut WOF - crosswise - the way I figured it:

You have 3.5 yards of fabric = 126 inches of length

I also have the total of the strips needed to be 122.25 inches.

The advice to start with the widest strips needed and work down to the smallest ones is very practical. Also, read the directions carefully - if you run short on the narrow strips, you may be able to cut leftover pieces from the wider strips - if there are any leftovers.

Can you post a link to the pattern you are using?

I do know that when I cut strips with a ruler, that they are actually a couple of threads wider than the "exact" number due to the width of cutting blade against the ruler and how I place the ruler.

So - if I was going to cut ten 2.0-inch strips, theoretically, I should be able to get it out of 20 inches of fabric. In actuality, if I did not make any mistakes, it would be closer to at least 20.5 inches of fabric used.

Even though the cutting blade is narrow, it's a bit like a saw blade and a bit of fabric "disappears" with each cut.

Thanks bear. I've thought about blade kerf on fabric as an explanation for that bit of fabric loss. Here's the link to the pattern: https://www.quilterstreasurechest.co...oftheWind.html It's really quite pretty. I got the kit from Keepsake Quilting.

The cuts you listed add up to 122.25”
    not sure why you want to cut your fabric lengthwise instead of width but cutting it wof. You have plenty
    i would start with cutting a 40” piece then cut those (10) 4” strips, then the next largest 34” for the (8) 4.25” - the 28” piece for the (8) 3 1/2” strips, etc and work your way down to smallest piece needed.
    It requires sewing 8 2" strips WOF together which would be stretchier than cutting with the warp