Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin Blocks >

Log Cabin Blocks

Log Cabin Blocks

Old 05-17-2018, 11:44 AM

I still love making log cabin quilts, have made more than 30 now and am working on three right now, I like to have both LCBs and CHS in a quilt like I did in my Navajo and midnight quilts, they both have one inch finished logs. but for Fast one my 'dyeing to quilt' uses both 12 inch and 6 inch blocks, log cabins

Last edited by leaha; 05-17-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:09 PM

I have never even attempted a log cabin quilt, although I love the floral ones so much. I am not confident of my ability to pick fabrics that would end up as fabulous.
I think my goal will be to make a wonky one, so maybe it will come out straight. LOL... I have tons of scrappy strips I've been gathering. Maybe I'll try a LC with them.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:31 PM

I chuckled when I read your posting - as a new quilter, one of my first attempts was a log cabin block because I had read it was good for beginners. Well, my first block was more of a parallelogram than a square! I showed it to the ladies at my LQS and they suggested trying the Creative Grids log cabin ruler. I was so amazed by how perfectly the block came out with that ruler that I drove the 60 mile round trip back to the LQS just to show them the block.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:28 PM

I made my first LC through EB quilt in a day class. This was in 1987..... I stopped quilting after that until 2016. LOL!!! Last year I made a curved log cabin for MIL and learned that accuracy in cutting was fundamental. I cut the strips to size and ripped out a lot due to my seam allowance and pressing issues. Ultimately, I finished it and it turned out really cool. I'd probably do better with it now since my skill level and knowledge of my machine has improved but the pattern has never inspired me to do another one.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:43 AM
Administrator

i've made more than a few log cabins over the years.
they all looked just fine from a few or more feet away.
up close? a far different story.
use a ruler to see if the logs line up properly from block to block? fugedaboutdit.
center squares that are actually square? as if ...
logs that are logs and not, instead, a shape i never saw in geometry class? Hah! Hah! and Double-Hah!

but it's one of my favorite blocks and i love the variety of layouts.
so i keep trying.
some day i hope i'll make one i'm proud of from any distance.

or not.

lol
Old 05-18-2018, 02:07 AM
Power Poster

My first LC was 1.5 and .5 finished. I used a slash and trim method. Any size scrap I pulled was sewn and trimmed to size after. Sewing a perfect block would be impossible for me any other way.

Love the look of LCs and will make more in the future. I started my quilting journey with a pineapple block quilt. Being self- taught, who knew. Having nothing but general directions from a magazine was the best thing that could have happened for me. I now know I can figure patterns out and create my own style without naysayers. Happy, I am.

peace
Old 05-18-2018, 05:42 AM

I love Log Cabin quilts , I've made about 10 or more my next one is going to be curved Log cabin .

Last edited by kittiebug; 05-18-2018 at 05:48 AM. Reason: miss spelled
Old 05-18-2018, 05:51 AM

I love Log cabin quilts, I've made about ten or more. My next one will be a curved log cabin..
Old 05-26-2018, 02:03 PM
Auj

I had to laugh while reading the posts to this one. I, too, tried a Log Cabin block when I first started quilting. I thought I had a brilliant idea to save time and fabric. I just used long strips and sewed to the first one; trimmed it, and kept on going. I was not happy with the block since it wasn't nice and square. Since then, I learned a lot about quarter inch seams and accurately cutting the 'logs' before sewing. I did MUCH better the next time.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:18 PM

Takes a lot of concentration and accuracy. If you mess up but don't realize till six-seven logs later, it's really infuriating. Happened to me when making my sister's LC quilt. I would get tired or excited or whatever, or sometimes I was paying full attention (or so I thought) and then, lo and behold, I goofed.