Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Log Cabin Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/log-cabin-blocks-t296965.html)

bearisgray 05-16-2018 05:45 AM

Log Cabin Blocks

Whoever thought that they were a good idea for a beginner should be chastised!

Especially if using skinny logs!

They are, however, a "wonderful" exercise for precision and accuracy!

QuiltingNinaSue 05-16-2018 06:11 AM

There are four kinds of log cabin designs according to Judy Martin who has published several quilt books. I remember the traditional, quarter block and courthouse steps. She says she uses the Juki (cheap model) for straight stitching and sends her quilts out for LA. Her books show how she gives the illusion of curves in the log cabin design. I love her books and designs.

dunster 05-16-2018 07:07 AM

I've made more log cabin quilts than any other kind. Even my avatar is a log cabin. I started with one of Judy Martin's log cabin books when I was a very new quilter and never had any problem with them, following her methods. I cut the logs on the grain when possible, and always cut them to length before I start sewing. I have another log cabin bed quilt all ready to put on the longarm.

homecaregiver 05-16-2018 07:30 AM

I love log cabins and have made several. I have several more I want to make. Sure wish I had a LA to do my own quilting on them and other quilts.

Dolphyngyrl 05-16-2018 07:47 AM

I made a log cabin as a beginner with no issues, but I used 2.5inch strips

anne2016 05-16-2018 07:52 AM

I love the look of the LC and it has so many layouts. I always admire the ones I see.
I do not like making them. I made one when I first started quilting and loved how it looked but it was a nightmare to make. Then I made another many years later and wasn't very far into the making when I knew that it was unlikely that I would ever make another.

sewingsuz 05-16-2018 08:08 AM

I have always used 2 1/2 inch strips and had not problem.

Jordan 05-16-2018 10:11 AM

My very first quilt class was learning to do a Log Cabin and I had no problems but I cut out 2.5" strips and that may make a difference. Sorry you are unhappy with your pattern and hope it doesn't discourage you from trying another quilt pattern. This hobby is quite addictive to say the least. I love quilting-good therapy for stress! :)

Boston1954 05-16-2018 10:23 AM

Sometimes it is the "easy" patterns that mess me up. I have made two Log Cabins. Both times I had to concentrate in order not to sew something to the wrong side. They came out nice, but I think two will never turn into three. :)

SillySusan 05-16-2018 10:48 AM

The 2nd quilt I ever attempted, 100 or so years ago, was a log cabin. I did not have anyone in my family that sewed or quilted at all and I didn't go to any classes. I just thought quilts were beautiful. So I just saw a picture of a log cabin one and I was on my way. I got so confused on the very first block... that same block was the 1st and the last one I ever did. It was back to 9 patch ones for me until I got the nerve up to try some triangles. So at 100 years later, I'm still learning. :)