Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Log Cabin Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/log-cabin-blocks-t296965.html)

Kelsie 06-18-2018 08:05 AM

I just can't pass up responding to this thread. I started about 2 years ago and bought fabric and starting cutting 2 1/2" strips. Then we bought a motor home and I decided it needed to be brightened up. I had a magazine article about a log cabin quilt. So, working alone, I started on my lap quilt with 1" finished strips. I didn't even know to square up blocks, didn't know how important consistent seams were... It is a bit incredible when I look back that it is as good as it is - which you must take with a grain of salt as I had some bad bleeding with my reds (I didn't know that I might have trouble with that in this day and age) and had to replace a number of blocks. So with a little stretching and gathering, I have managed to finish the flimsy but I need to wet it again and try to get it a little squarer (sp) and I now have found a back for it. Hopefully before the summer is over I will have it finished. (We are now in the middle of a home renovation).

Onebyone 06-18-2018 08:27 AM

My first quilt was a log cabin. I didn't know enough to be stressed over it. Didn't have a pattern. Some of the logs were wonky but it is still beautiful to look at. I made it scrappy dark and lights with bright red centers. I quilted each block separate before I knew there was a Quilt as You Go method. If I had a pattern with exact measurements to try to achieve I probably wouldn't have liked quilting.

luvstoquilt301 06-19-2018 05:28 AM

I heard a tip to make the final outside logs extra wide-----then trim the block to the perfect size.

For example if you are using 2 inch logs make the last round 2 1/4 or 2 1/2.

I did this as a beginner but can make them much better now.

Jeanette Frantz 06-19-2018 10:03 PM

I guess I've just been "lucky". My first pieced-block quilt was a log cabin, all logs cut 2-1/2". I used a 'strange' layout with the blocks for the first one, but the quilt was square, I did SITD. One thing I think is important -- I stitched starting from the center square out (of course), and I pressed every seam as I assembled the blocks. I think that is important, but then, I'm just a rank amateur, pretty much self-taught. All told, I've made four log cabins since I began piecing quilt blocks. I square up each block as I assemble the quilt -- I think that helps, too. My quilts are certainly not perfect, but I think they've turned out very well, for an amateur, and I don't have to back off 50 feet to say that! lol!

Conchalea 06-20-2018 03:30 AM

My first quilt from a pattern was a log cabin. I didn’t know any quilters so I followed Nancy Smith on her Craftsy class all about log cabin quilts. I used jelly roll strips & a coordinating fabric for the centers. Mine turned out very nicely & I don’t think I had to rip any seams. I didn’t know it has the reputation of being a difficult pattern. I made a twin size & quilted it on my DSM. I plan to make a curvy LC in the future.

katiebear1 06-20-2018 06:42 AM

[QUOTE=SusieQOH;8059597]I've made more LC's than anything else. I use 2 inch strips and haven't had a problem with them being wonky.[/QUOTE
I made a LC quilt using 2 and1/2 inch strips . I made just 4 really big blocks. Arranged 2 on top and 2 on the bottom it made a king size quilt.