Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Log Cabin Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/log-cabin-blocks-t296965.html)

lindaschipper 05-17-2018 03:16 AM

I made Court House Steps for my son Greg over 20 years ago.....back before I knew it was a variation of the Log Cabin block. Wish I had that particular instruction booklet back again because I never had a problem making it. I choose Court House Steps for him because he was about 17 then and always getting a traffic ticket....thought it seemed to fit.

sandy l 05-17-2018 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 8059252)
The only way I mastered the log cabin was by paper piecing...(is that cheating?)

Heck no, 'cause if it is I'm really guilty. Make all mine that way")

Barb2018 05-17-2018 03:31 AM

I made a variation of a log cabin quilt, but didn't realize it at the time. It was Cozy Quilt Designs, Butterflies and Blooms. When I got to the last blocks they were coming out a bit wonky, but I made it work. My curiosity got the better of me so I started doing research on Log Cabin blocks and figured out where I went wrong. I have fabric in my stash for a couple more log cabin quilts; I love them because they look simple but if you make a goof it's amplified in the following rounds.

grann of 6 05-17-2018 03:51 AM

Back, before I considered myself a quilter, I decided to make a log cabin quilt for my bed. It was made of flannel, washing the fabrics first as I was told to do. Never heard of starching at that time. Well, this thing was a nightmare. I found that when making 10 LC blocks I ended up with 10 different sizes. And I backed this thing with polarfleece, and hand tied it. Now I know the merits of perfect quarter inch seams, and accurate cutting. Maybe someday I will make another one, but it won't be of flannel.:D

SusieQOH 05-17-2018 04:04 AM

I've made more LC's than anything else. I use 2 inch strips and haven't had a problem with them being wonky.

Sailorwoman 05-17-2018 04:05 AM

I am in the midst of making 64 log cabin blocks. Since I had read about some of the difficulties in maintaining accuracy, I decided to paper piece them. So far, it is going well.

junegerbracht 05-17-2018 04:39 AM

I love making log cabins - the orderly process appeals to me - always cut my strips the precise size. Different strokes for different folks.

JENNR8R 05-17-2018 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 8059252)
The only way I mastered the log cabin was by paper piecing...(is that cheating?)

My favorite method is freezer-paper piecing log cabins. It makes it alot easier, more accurate, and far less frustrating. That's no more cheating than using Deb Tucker rulers to make blocks.

klswift 05-17-2018 06:32 AM

Absolutely! Until a quilter has learned the importance of the 1/4" seam, this block can definitely be a nightmare. I prefer to start quilters on split rail or churn dash. While they both require you work on your 1/4", they both can be forgiving.

Mariposa 05-17-2018 07:11 AM

Years ago, as a beginner, I used Eleanor Burns' Log Cabin QIAD book. After making the first one, I made several more as gifts. Fun book.
I've made LC blocks in lots of sizes. From using 2.5" strips, all the way down to mini LC blocks finishing at 1" square. ;)