Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Log Cabin Colors

  1. #1
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,838
    Blog Entries
    11
    Love the LC posted a wk or so ago,all lights & shades of blue,so pretty.Want to start on one & wondering what color would look good? Have mostly Fall shades in my bedrm. I'd use the off whites,so what to go with them & the red centers? DH says "no pink" :-).

    Wish me luck.In my trunk of quilts, the one never shown is my 2nd quilt made, a LC.Poor thing.....so wonky.Hoping to do better this time.

  2. #2
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by justme2
    Love the LC posted a wk or so ago,all lights & shades of blue,so pretty.Want to start on one & wondering what color would look good? Have mostly Fall shades in my bedrm. I'd use the off whites,so what to go with them & the red centers? DH says "no pink" :-).

    Wish me luck.In my trunk of quilts, the one never shown is my 2nd quilt made, a LC.Poor thing.....so wonky.Hoping to do better this time.
    The fall log cabin I made has dark orange, rust, burgandy, plum, brown and muddy green. They're all prints, no solids or marbles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,226
    Very nice, scissor queen! As for what color to use, my favorite is blue, but you need to consider other colors in your room, what colors you like, and what you already have or whether you plan to buy new. The sky's the limit as to what color you can use.

  4. #4
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,838
    Blog Entries
    11
    There's no blue in the house, so need to find either one color....or maybe go with scrappy in Fall colors?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    Very nice, scissor queen! As for what color to use, my favorite is blue, but you need to consider other colors in your room, what colors you like, and what you already have or whether you plan to buy new. The sky's the limit as to what color you can use.

  5. #5
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    Very nice, scissor queen! As for what color to use, my favorite is blue, but you need to consider other colors in your room, what colors you like, and what you already have or whether you plan to buy new. The sky's the limit as to what color you can use.
    That's the real beauty of a log cabin, the pattern may be fairly simple but you have several creative decisions to make. Color is unlimited and there are dozens of different settings.

  6. #6
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,838
    Blog Entries
    11
    Very pretty colors! Think I'll go with wider strips this time.Not only less of them, but hopefully easier to keep straight.

  7. #7
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    15,687
    Blog Entries
    1
    I made one for my sister in blacks and off-whites. Had a hard time with the high contrast, so I threw in a teal star just to add some "real" color.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,838
    Blog Entries
    11
    WOW.....that's very pretty. Wish all you expert LC makers would start a thread for ppl like me,who need all the LC help they can find. Are your blocks paper pieced? Did you use a pattern?

    Remember how many ppl posted in the "easy-not" LC thread .Most mentioned LC quilts as being hard for them. I was one of the posters :-)

  9. #9
    Super Member Quiltforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Washington state!
    Posts
    3,339
    I used a very bad pattern. But figured it out. Most important that someone told me was to make sure your measurements are acurate. Take your time and make sure you sew your seams even. This prevented mine from becoming wonky. I made sure to iron every seam and squared them after each seam yes time consuming but for my first LC i sure came out beautiful.

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New to Manchester New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,590
    Oh I like your colors very much. Nice and fallish. I may be making another one real soon.

  11. #11
    Super Member peaceandjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Finger Lakes of upstate NY
    Posts
    2,782
    Beautiful quilt, Scissor Queen!

    My first quilt was a Log Cabin in neutrals and greens. No blue in the house any more - everything was blue for years and now I can't stand it, lol!

    I used Eleanor Burns' "Quilt in a Day" book. It's very easy to follow. The logs are kind of wide, if I were doing it again - and Scissor Queen's is enough to make me want to, I'd follow the same directions but make the logs much narrower.

  12. #12
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,029
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by justme2
    Love the LC posted a wk or so ago,all lights & shades of blue,so pretty.Want to start on one & wondering what color would look good? Have mostly Fall shades in my bedrm. I'd use the off whites,so what to go with them & the red centers? DH says "no pink" :-).

    Wish me luck.In my trunk of quilts, the one never shown is my 2nd quilt made, a LC.Poor thing.....so wonky.Hoping to do better this time.
    The fall log cabin I made has dark orange, rust, burgandy, plum, brown and muddy green. They're all prints, no solids or marbles.
    Beautiful quilt!

  13. #13
    Super Member JJean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    2,584
    I used blues, reds and some pinks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #14
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    15,687
    Blog Entries
    1
    I did not use PP for the LC (gosh, I feel like I'm speaking in quilt code lol)

    When I did mine, it was only my third quilt and I made each block instead of strip piecing. I spent a bit of time pressing and trimming each round and then making sure that I turned the block in the same direction every time. I remember marking the rows of strips so I would always know where I was and not double up/or miss the next fabric.

  15. #15
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    I didn't paper piece mine. I don't think I even used a pattern. You just start with a square and add logs and make sure you go around the right direction.

    I know I strip pieced and shuffled my blocks so no two are identical.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Marcia_PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    western Pennsylvania & SW Florida
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I did not use PP for the LC (gosh, I feel like I'm speaking in quilt code lol)

    When I did mine, it was only my third quilt and I made each block instead of strip piecing. I spent a bit of time pressing and trimming each round and then making sure that I turned the block in the same direction every time. I remember marking the rows of strips so I would always know where I was and not double up/or miss the next fabric.
    Martina, love the stars in the log cabin. How do you make that row?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.