Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
log cabin PP or not? >

log cabin PP or not?

log cabin PP or not?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

i always foundation piece my log cabin blocks- i like the stability and precision- since i do not like removing papers i always use either a lightweight stablizer or muslin so it can stay in-
my log cabin blocks without foundation always seems to wind up (skewed)no matter how careful i try to be.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Izy

I used a vilene foundation which remains in place, saves all that ripping out part, messy and time consuming!

Here's a link to the tutorial I created to show how easy it is:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-106556-1.htm

Hope this helps you decide :D :D :D
Old 07-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

I sewed a Log Cabin just with the strips and it turned out nice. One thing I found out for myself: I had to finish one block at a time rather than strip piece the whole lot.

Try it both ways and see what you like better. For me, pp is too much extra work on the basic geometric lines.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I sewed a Log Cabin just with the strips and it turned out nice. One thing I found out for myself: I had to finish one block at a time rather than strip piece the whole lot.
Why wouldn't you assembly line sew? So much faster and works just the same.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

I PP them most of the time. When I don't I make sure to starch the fabric before I cut it. I also cut thestrips a bit longer than the required length and trim them after sewn to the block and ironed.
peace :D
Old 07-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Muv

Very glad to read this thread. I've learnt a lot. Log cabins have always been a favourite of mine when gazing at pictures in books. I love the effect of light and dark with the colours and the way the central square can jump out if it's bright enough, but I've been put off making one because books recommend paper piecing or a foundation. That all sounds like too much fuss for me. When I get the chance I'll just bash on ahead with strips, and if it turns out well I'll post a photo. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:23 PM

I must admit to preferring PP as I like them exact, don't like the paper mess tho' :-D
Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 PM

My tries at LC came out wonky too. Where do you ladies get the PP foundations?
Old 07-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Muv

Originally Posted by bj
I say just go for it. As long as you square up the finished block, you should be ok.

QB must have added spell-check. I just got a little squiggly red line under the ok. Awesome! :-D :-D
bj - the spell check isn't consistent. Being English I learnt long ago to ignore American spelling checkers, in fact I'm not happy unless I get loads of red underlinings. However, having just spelt everything correctly, I've found the poor old spell checker is a bit confused. Try it - type in "I am honoured to wear your favourite colours" and see what happens!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:33 PM

I have made a few LC quilts. The first ones came out fine but the last few have been wonky. I chain pieced all of them. The only thing I can think of is that I must have gotten sloppy thinking they were easy!. I thought about PP but it seems like it would be labor intensive ripping paper. I thought about the foundation but was wondering if it made it too hard to hand quilt since that is how I quilt. Anyone out there handquilt with foundation piecing? Is it harder to get the needle through? I love LC quilts but don't want to do it if I can't get them straight.