Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Log cabin quilt without trimming? >
  • Log cabin quilt without trimming?

• Log cabin quilt without trimming?

Old 05-26-2024, 01:19 PM

1/8" all the way around? Or when you put your ruler on the block is one isde 1/8" off? Consistantly?
    Old 05-26-2024, 02:18 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    1/8" all the way around? Or when you put your ruler on the block is one isde 1/8" off? Consistantly?
    For me, if I am trying for z 12.5" inch block, if they are between 12 -3/8; and 12.-5/8 inches - uh-oh - that's 1/4of an inch - and I would not try easing that much in.

i would put a 12 -3/8 OR a 12-5/8 block next to a 12-1/2 inch block.

i have learned that the smaller the block -Dear Jane blocks, for example - the less wiggle room.

Old 06-04-2024, 07:26 AM

Success!

Thanks so much to everyone who put in their two cents' worth - the collective experience on this forum is spectacular in its breadth and generosity. I already posted this picture on the Fabric Moratorium thread, but here is the finished flimsy (untrimmed ~7.5" blocks). I had precut all of my logs and it seems I was also quite consistent in my seams. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails img_9513.jpg  

Last edited by Gemm; 06-04-2024 at 07:29 AM.
    Old 06-04-2024, 08:21 AM

Gemm this is a beautiful quilt top. Your piecing looks perfect to me. I love your quilt and wonder what is your finish size overall? I am guessing maybe 56x70. What width are your logs, please? I haven’t made a log cabin before, but it looks like you received a lot of information from the ones who have. This layout could be made with red white and blue, for a future QOV!😁
    Old 06-04-2024, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by toogie
    I love your quilt and wonder what is your finish size overall? I am guessing maybe 56x70. What width are your logs, please? I haven’t made a log cabin before, but it looks like you received a lot of information from the ones who have. This layout could be made with red white and blue, for a future QOV!😁
    Hi Toogie, thanks! You're right on the size: 56" x 70" and the finished blocks were 7" and logs were cut at 1.5" wide. I agree it would make a great QOV. It's the first log cabin quilt I've made - I made four blocks once but made them one at a time and found the process really onerous. For this one, I laid out the logs in stacks for 5 blocks at a time and then chain pieced them - it was SO much better! I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :-)
    Old 06-04-2024, 03:57 PM

The top looks great. 1/8" is not that off and if you pin the intersections and middles you can ease in any fullness just sew with the full side down against the feed dogs.
    Old 06-07-2024, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup
    I would rather eat dirt then trim every block. So a lot of times, I do not trim. I cut and seam as accurately as possible and usually end up with a square quilt without trimming.
    Me, too! I thought I was the only one.
    Old 06-14-2024, 05:49 PM

You can paper piece log cabins if you need a high level of precision. There are more sources out there now for pp patterns but Brenda Brayfield wrote the first book on this approach:
    https://www.amazon.com/Log-Cabin-Red.../dp/1574327631
    Old 06-14-2024, 07:33 PM

The quilt turned out fabulous. I really like the colors and the setting you used.