Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Log cabin quilt without trimming? >
  • Log cabin quilt without trimming?

• Log cabin quilt without trimming?

Old 05-25-2024, 04:27 PM

Default Log cabin quilt without trimming?

Hi,

I've got LC blocks done and laid out and based on the ones I've measured (there are a lot of them) the sizing seems to be pretty consistent - most within a couple of threads' width and all so far well within 1/8". I've found several posts talking about block trimming (tips and tools) but I'm wondering if anyone can offer thoughts on putting a LC top together without trimming the blocks. I'm doing it in a barn raising pattern so there are very few interior seams meeting. Just looking for thoughts from some of the pro quilters out there! Thanks. :-)
    Old 05-25-2024, 04:30 PM
    Power Poster

If your blocks are plus or minus 1/8 inch of the target size, I would use them as is.
    Old 05-25-2024, 05:08 PM

I would rather eat dirt then trim every block. So a lot of times, I do not trim. I cut and seam as accurately as possible and usually end up with a square quilt without trimming.
    Old 05-25-2024, 06:04 PM

If you opt not to trim then you'll want to check how even your rows are. Small differences in size and positioning can mean you end up with one block that's getting a scanty seam or even no seam at all when sewing the rows together
    Old 05-25-2024, 09:09 PM

I’ve made at least six log cabin quilts and have never trimmed the blocks. I do cut all the logs to the proper size before I sew them together. I think this keeps the blocks more uniform in size than if you just sew a long log and trim it off after sewing.
    Old 05-26-2024, 02:50 AM

Go for it! Early on, it never occurred to me to cut my blocks! So, if they weren't even, one side of the seam was bigger than the other.
    Old 05-26-2024, 03:41 AM

Another one here, never trimmed the blocks. I do lay them out first and try to match the edges. If there is one with a short side, I put it on the edge of the quilt. Otherwise just ease them in.
    Old 05-26-2024, 05:17 AM
    Power Poster

There is an Eleanor burns method (I think she has a few) that I did in a class a long time ago. We cut the fabric into long strips and didn't subcut. Then just made the block and cut off the rest and put it back in the stack. We were all confused and the instructor said "trust the process" and eight of us came out with perfect quilts. No trimming at all. And barely measuring!!
    Old 05-26-2024, 09:16 AM

Yeah, I tried the Eleanor Burns method and stopped very very quickly. Admittedly, I was a new quilter but I could not get any two blocks the same size. Instead, I went for the more controlled method of cutting each log to size. I then followed an experienced quilting friend's advice and finger pressed each seam instead of pressing with an iron. What a difference! Finger pressing is definitely the way to go for me.

I agree, that if your blocks are within 1/8 inch variance, just put them together. A little stretching here and a little easing there will make everything fit.
    Old 05-26-2024, 09:56 AM

One of my first quilts was a precut log cabin. I took a minimum of tools to my mom's house for the weekend. I started sewing the blocks together. Egads!!! It never occurred to me that none of the logs were cut to the right size. I hadn't brought a cutting board or anything other than scissors to cut thread with. I decided, oh what the heck? This is a practice quilt and I will just ease in any extra length or width whenever needed in each block, thinking that since everything was cotton, it would crinkle when it was washed and you wouldn't be able to tell. To my surprise, everything matched up enough and the quilt was square. My daughter still treasures that quilt.
    Current days, I figure out before I start sewing by using practice material where I need to set my needle to get the right seam length and width before I start sewing. My blocks don't need trimming up. If they are 1/8" off, it will get eased in. My older clothing sewing skills do come in handy every once in a while. "smile"