Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin Rulers? >

Log Cabin Rulers?

Log Cabin Rulers?

Old 02-21-2014, 07:50 PM

Default Log Cabin Rulers?

I saw these in a local quilt shop today. Does any one have and use these? What do you think?
Thanks for your opinions.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:59 PM

Personally speaking, the only "specialty" ruler I've bought are the 15 and 18 degree dresden plate ones. If a block/quilt need a special ruler, then I'll just pass on it.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:02 PM

I have seen them and find them to be not worth the price. The same result can be achieved without them.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:03 PM

We were supposed to buy one for a retreat we went on. I didn't buy it and did just fine. Many of the others were wondering why they got theirs.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:30 PM

you only need a reasonably straight line for a log cabin. one with measurements is better

aileen
Old 02-21-2014, 11:17 PM

When I made my grandson's log cabin quilt I didn't cut the strips to size. Just pieced in the correct sequence and it worked out great. With cats around it just wouldn't work for me to cut that many small pieces and have them on a table ready to piece.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:55 AM
Power Poster

specialty rulers are always kind of...*do I really need that?*, is it worth it?, should I buy it?* and really.... it's a personal thing. yes, you can (often) accomplish the same thing with out it~ yes, you can live without it~ yes, it is kind of expensive~
so, you go along for a quilt or more without it- making do with what you have.
then one day someone buys you that special ruler as a gift- knowing you make *those kind of quilts*, you use it---and wonder....*Why in the world did I not get this ruler ages ago....this is wonderful!; or, you try it once- decide....I hate using this - and never use it again...it's really hard for one person to tell another one that you "Need" this ruler---but you might.
I was that way with my 'add a quarter & add an 1/8' rulers. I did paper piecing for years- successfully- using my usual rulers. then someone put an add a quarter ruler in my Christmas package...oh my goodness- I love it! I wonder why I didn't pick one up years ago- now I always use it- and bought the smaller one for those tiny paper pieced blocks- sure I can paper piece without them- buy why would I? they have simplified and taken my paper piecing to a new level I love!
I know people who have bought the log cabin book, with ruler- and love it- use it all the time- me, I still make my log cabin blocks without it, but I do wonder- if I tried it out- would I love it? maybe...will I try it? probably not, because I don't tend to make a lot of log cabin quilts- if they were my 'go to' pattern I would probably take the leap.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

Why buy a ruler when you can buy the die for the accuquilt go!
Old 02-22-2014, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Love ckcowls answer. In a perfect world you could borrow a ruler first and complete a small project, then decide to keep it or not. Log cabin rulers have measurements to cut the logs down to specific lengths before making the block. If you have a tendency to stretch your fabric as you sew, and are always having to trim your blocks down, this ruler might be a good idea. I would make a couple blocks without it. If you like the way they are coming out, then you probably don't need it.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I have seen them and find them to be not worth the price. The same result can be achieved without them.
I agree with Lori S. Waste of money.