Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: log cabin

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne in VT
    I can't say the piecing of the blocks is "fun" for me either, but putting them together into a quilt is what always gets me excited...so many choices as far as layouts.

I'd say the log cabin quilt is my favorite looking quilt, but not really my favorite block to piece. I hope I'm making sense. Usually it's the opposite for me (love to piece the blocks but get bored by the time the blocks get put into a quilt).

So, maybe you will love the part of seeing it come to life once the blocks are displayed together.

Suzanne
    Making perfect sense! I am looking forward to doing the layout as I'm planning on doing a barn raising pattern. Hopefully I'll get moving on this again soon as I need it done for next June and I only hand quilt. I guess I'm about 2/3 through with the blocks. We have a lot of travelling coming up in the next 6-8 weeks so it's on the back burner once again.

Quote Originally Posted by ediedarlene
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    Not to be a naysayer here but I'm working on my first log cabin and have to say I'm not loving it at all! Have lovely fabrics and I'm strip piecing but it's just not grabbing me the way it does many others. I'm glad everyone is enjoying theirs but I don't see another one in my future.

I know what you mean, I'm new to quilting and read how easy a log cabin block was. So I started one, yikes all the cutting!!! Not to mention that my 1/4" seam leaves a lot to be desired!! But still, I do love the finished product. I've made them in all colors. Right now I'm working on orange ones for fall.
    The cutting is really annoying for me as well. And even after all this time my seams are not perfect so there's lots of trimming along the way. I cut a bunch of strips, sew/trim for a while then repeat. Ugh!

I just made my 1st log cabin table topper and it is terrible...all my strips were cut properly and i use the moleskin to keep my 1/4' seam but they were still crooked!!! Plus I think I did it a little backwards to start with...the square is NOT in the center...it has the 2 shortest strips on the edge and the longer ones on the other side...don't think I'll make anymore!!

I love the Log Cabin block. I've only made 2 but have plans to make more with my scraps.

Definitely another log cabin in MY future. There are so many ways to lay it out. Fun!

Not to be a naysayer here but I'm working on my first log cabin and have to say I'm not loving it at all! Have lovely fabrics and I'm strip piecing but it's just not grabbing me the way it does many others. I'm glad everyone is enjoying theirs but I don't see another one in my future.
    I have to agree in a way. I too am making my first log. Strip piecing. I can get one block complete in about 3 hours. I wonder if this is a norm? My blocks are 10 in

You need decaf........ ;)

Blog Entries
    I love log cabin quilts they are so my favorite to make, and you can do nothing but log cabin quilts for ever and make no two alike! The settings, the blocks,and how you do the color ways and the shapes! and I like to mix blocks too. so thumbs up for log cabins. some of my non trad log cabin quilts

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-60783-1.htm

NJ--I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the log cabin. What size are you doing? If it is a large quilt, try doing a small one to start.

Talk about log cabins - look at the one on this page - I just happened onto it while looking around:

http://quilting.about.com/od/picture...tage-Quilt.htm

Marysewfun

Quote Originally Posted by cscray
    NJ--I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the log cabin. What size are you doing? If it is a large quilt, try doing a small one to start.
    Maybe that's my issue. My blocks are 12" and I'm doing an oversize twin quilt. I'm kind of committed at this point. It's a graduation gift for a dear friend's son. I'll get through it - I'm not usually one to give up. Just have had things get in the way lately so took the opportunity to whine!

Quote Originally Posted by girliegirl
    oh i just saw what they are .............. how about one with all daisy flowers, you know the traditional daisy.... yeah.....

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    And don't forget BarnBum's lovely floral log cabins .... *drool*
    She's done many lovely floral log cabins .... BB's were the first time I saw log cabins done as florals. So I always think of BB as the Queen of Floral LCs!

Others .... to answer your question, just stalk BarnBum and check out her threads.

Also, for Log Cabins inspiration, check out the gallery as there's two sections. One for traditional, the other non-traditionals.

Blog Entries
    get the eleanor burns book!! you sew all at the same time like an assembly line and will have it done in one night! i did... easy.... if everyone wanted a log cabin in my family, i would say yes to all......

Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    I have to agree in a way. I too am making my first log. Strip piecing. I can get one block complete in about 3 hours. I wonder if this is a norm? My blocks are 10 in

I loved doing my scrappy TEXAS log cabin...it was done by cutting pieces exact length, I really like doing the paper pieced ones.

Same here NJ Quilter. When I first started, made a queen-sized log cabin for my bed. Beautiful color combinations and so many different designs. But just didn't understand it. Had to get my sister to help me complete it. But I glad I did and I'm glad it's over. Never Again!!

I used the Eleanor Burn method on the ones I have done. Since then I have seen the Marti Michell method, and it looks like a good technique too ... and I think I'd check it out before I start another LC.

To me, LCs look best in the narrower strips .... max 2-1/2", but preferably narrower!!!!
    (and yes, JIMHO!!!!)

I like Judy Martin's log cabin techniques best. I also like the narrower strips, at most 1" wide finished.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    I like Judy Martin's log cabin techniques best. I also like the narrower strips, at most 1" wide finished.
    Yessssssssssss ..... narrow!!!!!!!!!!!
    (I didn't want to scare everyone with that thought!! :))

Blog Entries
    decaf???? oh no ............. bring it on baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Ruthie
    You need decaf........ ;)

Try doing just one block at a time. My first (and it was just my second ever quilt) was a log cabin. I strip pieced. I got all confused and plus I was working with 1 inch strips. I was scared to try another, but finally worked up my courage and am working on one block at a time assembly. I am enjoyong it.

I love to make log cabin blocks, great way to use up scraps.
    Sharon W. in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by katiebear1

Try doing just one block at a time. My first (and it was just my second ever quilt) was a log cabin. I strip pieced. I got all confused and plus I was working with 1 inch strips. I was scared to try another, but finally worked up my courage and am working on one block at a time assembly. I am enjoyong it.
    This shows how different methods appeal to different people. I generally do about 8-12 blocks at the same time. I use Judy Martin's methods, so all my logs are pre-cut and separated by size and value. I set out the logs for the right length and value (light or dark) and sew the same log on all blocks, then go press all of them, then back to sew the next log on. To me this is much less confusing than working round and round the same block.

I tried finding information on that but can't, is it a book? Or one of Eleanor Burns? I couldn't find it on her site, very interested to know more,
    thanks,
    Maire

Quote Originally Posted by Maire
    I tried finding information on that but can't, is it a book? Or one of Eleanor Burns? I couldn't find it on her site, very interested to know more,
    thanks,
    Maire
    BarnBum is another poster her eon QB. You can find her via the User List above. Also, I'm sure many of her floral log cabins will be included in the photo Gallery here ... see the bottom of this page to find that.

There are so many layouts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast