Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
log cabin >

log cabin

log cabin

Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
Not to be a naysayer here but I'm working on my first log cabin and have to say I'm not loving it at all! Have lovely fabrics and I'm strip piecing but it's just not grabbing me the way it does many others. I'm glad everyone is enjoying theirs but I don't see another one in my future.
I have to agree in a way. I too am making my first log. Strip piecing. I can get one block complete in about 3 hours. I wonder if this is a norm? My blocks are 10 in
Old 08-31-2011, 08:11 AM

You need decaf........ ;)
Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 AM

I love log cabin quilts they are so my favorite to make, and you can do nothing but log cabin quilts for ever and make no two alike! The settings, the blocks,and how you do the color ways and the shapes! and I like to mix blocks too. so thumbs up for log cabins. some of my non trad log cabin quilts

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-60783-1.htm
Old 08-31-2011, 08:33 AM

NJ--I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the log cabin. What size are you doing? If it is a large quilt, try doing a small one to start.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:40 AM

Talk about log cabins - look at the one on this page - I just happened onto it while looking around:

http://quilting.about.com/od/picture...tage-Quilt.htm

Marysewfun
Old 08-31-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by cscray
NJ--I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the log cabin. What size are you doing? If it is a large quilt, try doing a small one to start.
Maybe that's my issue. My blocks are 12" and I'm doing an oversize twin quilt. I'm kind of committed at this point. It's a graduation gift for a dear friend's son. I'll get through it - I'm not usually one to give up. Just have had things get in the way lately so took the opportunity to whine!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by girliegirl
oh i just saw what they are .............. how about one with all daisy flowers, you know the traditional daisy.... yeah.....

Originally Posted by QuiltE
And don't forget BarnBum's lovely floral log cabins .... *drool*
She's done many lovely floral log cabins .... BB's were the first time I saw log cabins done as florals. So I always think of BB as the Queen of Floral LCs!

Others .... to answer your question, just stalk BarnBum and check out her threads.

Also, for Log Cabins inspiration, check out the gallery as there's two sections. One for traditional, the other non-traditionals.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 AM

get the eleanor burns book!! you sew all at the same time like an assembly line and will have it done in one night! i did... easy.... if everyone wanted a log cabin in my family, i would say yes to all......

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
Not to be a naysayer here but I'm working on my first log cabin and have to say I'm not loving it at all! Have lovely fabrics and I'm strip piecing but it's just not grabbing me the way it does many others. I'm glad everyone is enjoying theirs but I don't see another one in my future.
I have to agree in a way. I too am making my first log. Strip piecing. I can get one block complete in about 3 hours. I wonder if this is a norm? My blocks are 10 in
Old 08-31-2011, 10:28 AM

I loved doing my scrappy TEXAS log cabin...it was done by cutting pieces exact length, I really like doing the paper pieced ones.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:29 AM

Same here NJ Quilter. When I first started, made a queen-sized log cabin for my bed. Beautiful color combinations and so many different designs. But just didn't understand it. Had to get my sister to help me complete it. But I glad I did and I'm glad it's over. Never Again!!