Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lone star math help needed >

Lone star math help needed

Lone star math help needed

Old 11-30-2016, 12:40 PM

Default Lone star math help needed

Can anyone help with the formula for figuring out triangles and corners for a lone star block? In this case each strip was made from a 2.5 in jelly roll strip. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!
Attached Thumbnails img_0230.jpg  
Old 11-30-2016, 01:09 PM

Very Pretty block - will it finish about 22" square?
Old 11-30-2016, 01:18 PM

I figured anywhere between 20.5 to 21 in somewhere in that area, the corners are 6x6 on each inside corner and the triangle is 6 left x 6 right x 8 3/8 tip to tip outer edge.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:07 PM

that is a really pretty block. I really like it. But I can't help you on it.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:59 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

It seems like you have answered your own question with the measurements you gave.
1. The corners are 6" square approx? Cut a square for that corner at 6" + .5" seam allowance + a couple of inches for 'extra' = 6.5" + 2" = 8.5" sq. for the corners.
2. The triangles between the points are slightly more thoughtful because you need to put a straight grain edge, not a bias edge, on the outside (longer edge) of the triangle for stability. So, using your stated measurement of 8 3/8" cut 2 squares that are approx 10" square. [I got this measurement by adding an extra 1 5/8" to your own measurement, just rounding it up to something more manageable that that "eighths-of-an-inch" stuff and giving you some extra to be sure. ] Now when you cut the squares across ONE diagonal (which will give you a total of 4 triangles), you'll have those outside edges on the straight grain.

The reason I add "extra" to these setting triangles/squares is because I want to be able to trim the finished block to a proper size in a way that will NOT lose any points. I allow about 1/2" rather than 1/4" seam allowance so that the block appears to "float" away from the seam --- this makes for a more crisp look when you are done; the points do not look crowded by the adjoining sections of the quilt. The "extra" also allows you to make the block perfectly square when trimming.

Be sure to share the finished quilt with us!

Jan in VA
Old 11-30-2016, 10:17 PM

Can't help with the math but it's a beautiful block.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
It seems like you have answered your own question with the measurements you gave.
1. The corners are 6" square approx? Cut a square for that corner at 6" + .5" seam allowance + a couple of inches for 'extra' = 6.5" + 2" = 8.5" sq. for the corners.
2. The triangles between the points are slightly more thoughtful because you need to put a straight grain edge, not a bias edge, on the outside (longer edge) of the triangle for stability. So, using your stated measurement of 8 3/8" cut 2 squares that are approx 10" square. [I got this measurement by adding an extra 1 5/8" to your own measurement, just rounding it up to something more manageable that that "eighths-of-an-inch" stuff and giving you some extra to be sure. ] Now when you cut the squares across ONE diagonal (which will give you a total of 4 triangles), you'll have those outside edges on the straight grain.

The reason I add "extra" to these setting triangles/squares is because I want to be able to trim the finished block to a proper size in a way that will NOT lose any points. I allow about 1/2" rather than 1/4" seam allowance so that the block appears to "float" away from the seam --- this makes for a more crisp look when you are done; the points do not look crowded by the adjoining sections of the quilt. The "extra" also allows you to make the block perfectly square when trimming.

Be sure to share the finished quilt with us!

Jan in VA
Thank you so much Jan, you're always so helpful and so full of knowledge!!
Old 12-01-2016, 09:46 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

OH GOOD GRIEF!!! Thanks to Eparys, who PM'd me, I realize I made a pretty BIG MISTAKE in the triangle part of the directions.

PLEASE CUT only ONE SQUARE that is 10" sq. Then cut that sq. in BOTH DIAGONAL DIRECTIONS so that the long edges of the triangles are on the straight grain.

(I've gotta quit writing these posts after 8pm at night!! )

Notify anybody you think may have read the wrong directions but not this update, please.

Jan in VA