Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lone Star Quilt top Question

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by galvestonangel
    Go to you tube and watch Sharon Schambers tut on adjusting the fabric in a block. I do not know if it will work with yours but you might try it.
    I did this; this only works if your piece is off by less then .75 inches. While it *helped* to adjust the block ala Schambers, it was insufficient on its own to solve the "outy belly button" problem.

-- jillaine

Quote Originally Posted by suezquilts
    The best pattern I used was Eleanor Burns~Quilt in a Day, that is not true!

I have also had a friend make me an acrylic template for me to use!
    I used Eeanor Burns book too and have made 2 lone stars. Spray Starch and that good old 1/4 inch seam, a must. When cutting your strips, make sure you double check the 45 degree every couple strips. So easy to get off the mark, I did that and then had strips for plain pillows and almost ran out of fabric. Pin and pin and pin the seams, careful not to stretch even if they are spray starched and that center will turn out great. Most of all have fun!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianlee
    When cutting your (diagonal) strips, make sure you double check the 45 degree every couple strips.
    Related to this: make sure the width of your diagonal strips is accurate; this is where I messed up.

And also make sure that the "outer arms" of your pieced diamonds are directly across from each other.

The first photo below is what it should look like; the second is how off mine initially were.
    Attached Images Attached Images

STARCH, STARCH, STARCH!!!

The most important thing is the seam allowance, but I would also make sure that each 1/4 section is at a true right angle. I would trim at this point to a right angle and check again once the two quarters are sewn, to be sure they are straight. This should make it lay flat...

Blog Entries
    Love this process used at your class - sounds like it would be hard to miss doing it this way - Thanks

Blog Entries
    It's disheartening to put in so much work on a Lone Star and then have it turn out this way. All the suggestions I've read are good .... it's those bias edges that give you trouble.

Another thing you can do: Steam PRESS, don't slide your iron. A lot of that (but probably not all) can be gotten rid of by shrinking. Don't give up after one time; press, let it dry, and press again and again.

Good luck!

It is definitely the bias that is the problem! Thankfully when I did mine, I was using a serger to piece. It helped a lot!

Blog Entries
    It's very pretty. I hope the other hints help you fix it as I have nothing to add.

I have always wanted to do a Lone Star Quilt and was wondering what book or pattern you used.

No pressing until you join the four pieces to form the star. With so much bias the pressing tends to cause stretching. Also when you sew the four pieces together stitch from the center out to the outer edge. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Did you sew all the strips together in the same direction. I have made this pattern and alternated the way I stitched the strips together. maybe two from outside to inside and two from inside to outside.

[quote=adrianlee]
    Quote Originally Posted by suezquilts
    The best pattern I used was Eleanor Burns~Quilt in a Day, that is not true!

I used Eeanor Burns book too and have made 2 lone stars. Spray Starch and that good old 1/4 inch seam, a must. When cutting your strips, make sure you double check the 45 degree every couple strips. So easy to get off the mark, I did that and then had strips for plain pillows and almost ran out of fabric. Pin and pin and pin the seams, careful not to stretch even if they are spray starched and that center will turn out great. Most of all have fun!!
    This is also how I have done mine, but also used freezer paper to help in keeping the correct shape or from stretching the bias. You iron the freezer paper to the diamond before sewing them together. But after the strips are sewed.

You might try steaming it to see if it will lay flat. if that doesn't work, you can go from the peachy diamonds and try to sew just a scant smaller seam to take in the excess. Just my 2 cents worth. Jan

Blog Entries
    I agree, you have to be very careful handling the bias edges. You also have to trim up each section once you have a section done. Also mark each section with a 1/4" line and match those up.

This has happened to me. I took the center apart and carefully marked the seam line. You do know that it shound not be sewed across the seam line in the point. Thats what my error was Finally got it to lay flat and it was well worth all the trouble.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    One of my early projects was a lone star. It took on a life on its own when I somehow turned the pieces and ended up with a different color graduation than planned. My center is just fine (I'm glad someone told me to be EXTREMELY careful with the bias edges.) BUT the edges are all over the place. It is still in a bin as a UFO. If you will tackle yours, I think I should pull mine out again too.

My BF (aka sister-in-heart) in VA just took a class on Lone Star quilts. They used a foundation fabric that had a grid on it that came from www.quiltsmart.com and she said the star went together beautifully. You cut rectangles and sew them in place. Don't understand quite how it works but I have ordered a set to try for myself. Also, one of her points got messed up because the printing of the grid lines was very light and hard to see. When she called the company about it, she said they apologized for the printing and offered to send her an entire new set of foundation pieces for free. She told them she just needed the one but did want to order another pattern. They then sent her that pattern free of charge along with a new panel to replace the one that she had problems with. She was blown away by their customer service! If you order, you might want to mention that the quilter from Virginia highly recommended them!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2