Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The long arm pest has another question >

The long arm pest has another question

The long arm pest has another question

Old 12-22-2011, 07:45 AM

I was going to ask if you are using the tension straps that go from the side of the frame and clip onto the quilt itself in two places on each side of the quilt. They do help you keep your work straighter. You do not want to pull too tight but the backing and batting should be anchored this way.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 AM

Coldquilter --- I've had that problem............and usually it's because of bias cuts in the borders. I always baste the left side as I'm going down. If I keep that in the line (using the painter's tape), then you just quilt and quit worrying so much. Mainly, cuz there isn't anything you can dow once you've started quilting. You'll be surprised when you get it off the machine -- usually you can't see anything was wrong or a problem! In the future, fold the quilt top in half lengthwise and hold it by the fold (you'll need a helper) and look at the cut bottom edge........is it hanging straight or is there a difference? Now switch and fold it widthwise and hang the same way. If it's hanging straight and doesn't show a difference in the width, then your quilt is okay. If you have problems when rolling, it may just be the stretching or the leadercloths may have a problem. Doublecheck them before the next quilt is put on.

PS -- as Ka9sdn said --- do doublecheck how tight you're making the side clamps. BUT, do NOT clamp them to the quilt top.......just to the backing and maybe the batting. I just did a charity quilt that the fabric was 2 yards for backing and 2 for the top. I added cheater cloth to the top and bottom so it could roll on but didn't think of the sides. I clamped both the top and the backing..............ended up with unwanted pleats on the back!!! DUH moment!!!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

I am not a long armer but the one I saw in action the person had "Red Snappers" on the sides. I think that is a brand name but they are the elastic with clamps to keep the side tension even?
Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 PM

Dee - thanks so much for the good advice. I thought it must be a fabric issue since I have done several quilts this fall for charity to practice and some come out perfect and others I struggle with. I do use the clamps on the side on just the batting and backing but never the top. I will definitely try your advice on my next top though. Thanks so much for the advice and the time.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:12 AM

Do more measuring of the quilt top. I find that "square" quilts come out pretty square. Some centers are too "small" and some are too full (the borders don't match the block's measurements). When you understand the actual measurements you're dealing with, you can adjust the quilting to a better density. (Denser to work in the fullness) But not every quilt can be kept perfectly square because it's just too wonkey.