Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
long arm question/advice >

long arm question/advice

long arm question/advice

Old 05-18-2024, 04:56 AM

Default long arm question/advice

Hi everyone!
I'm hoping to get opinions from those with a long arm and those that utilize long arm services. Last year, my mother and I invested in a long arm setup. We decided it was worth it, because we wanted to expand our capabilities and be able to finish things on our own. Our setup is a 24 inch Handi Quilter and 12 foot frame and full automation software.

In recent months, my husband and I did a few local maker/craft shows here in Michigan (my husband is a woodworker). I took some of our smaller quilts to these events. I had a lot of people comment on the quilts (positive) but with the economy what it is, no sales. But, there was one interesting aspect to these shows. I had a LOT of women come up to me and ask me who quilted my quilts. I explained that I did and they would ask if I have a long arm, and I said yes. Then, they would ask if I do quilting for others. Each time, I explained that no, I hadn't thought about it..and inevitably, they would ask if I would consider it. Most said I should, as there are a lot of people in need of the service.

At the last show, a woman came up to me and had the same conversation with me. She told me she loved my quilts, and that the finishing (quilting, etc.) were fantastic and that I really needed to offer my services. I told her (truthfully) that the thought scared me, after all, I'm handling someone else's' creation. She told me from the quilts she saw there, that I could confidently offer edge to edge quilting and that I shouldn't second guess myself or hesitate.

So, my question..For those that have long arms, do you quilt for other people? How did you gain business? We have an Etsy shop for our existing creations, and I do see others offering long arm service through Etsy. I guess I never considered this aspect, but with sales being sporadic, it may offer a new income avenue since we are paying for the equipment anyway.

I guess I'd love to get thoughts in general. The idea scares me, but I'd love to hear opinions/insight from those with more experience or opinions! Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-18-2024, 05:37 AM

It sounds like you are well on your way to being a long arm quilter.! Good for you!!

Most people I know who bought long arms and were convinced by the sales people that they too could quilt for others found they don't enjoy the experience. That it took them 2-5 years to feel comfortable doing things for others. That people are picky picky picky (and justifiably so) and cheap. That the tops are not necessarily really ready for machine quilting for a variety of reasons. The reasons go on and on, but typically more involve the people than the quilts...

I think that since you are already thinking of sales and have pieces you are ready and willing to sell, you are ahead of the curve. The successful long armers I know are typically kept busy by word of mouth or just a card on the bulletin board at the local quilt store. If you have a quilt guild in the area that has a service project (Quilts of Valor, Project Linus, etc) you might volunteer to quilt down some of the projects in exchange for feedback/exposure -- be clear and firm on how many you are willing to do.

I recently bought a used long arm system, been getting some organizational stuff at home out of the way before I set it up. Need to order some storage for other things and move some furniture around and it will be easy with the large empty space. I am very clear that I do not want to quilt for other people, I'd be happy to let the ladies in my sewing group come visit and do it themselves. Once I get through my backlog of tops, a couple of years from now I might be willing to quilt down a few donation quilts.
Old 05-18-2024, 05:42 AM

I know where you're coming from..............quilting on someone else's quilt scares the heck out of me. What if I ruined it, put a hole in it, they didn't care for how I quilted it,etc. I've had my system since 2012 and I've quilted only a few quilts for others. I was so nervous that I'd do something stupid on it but I got thru it but don't care to go thru it again. You've gotten a lot of rave reviews on your quilting so maybe you should try a few and see how it goes. Be sure to ask them how they want it quilted, time line, who provides the backing, batting and thread, binding services and I'd ask for at least half the price down payment. You might make up a form for them to sign stating who, what and where about the quilt so there's no confusion at the end. I've read a couple horror stories here online that tells me I don't want to get into it but I'm also over 70 and I don't seem to quilt as often as I used to.

Good luck!!
Old 05-18-2024, 07:18 AM

I suggest watching YouTube videos of those who do it as a business, I would also look online at other shops and get an idea of how they run their business. I have a longarm and would never want the pressure of doing it for others as I feel my enjoyable hobby would become a stressful drudgery.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:24 AM

Iceblossom just opened another possibility for you. I have a couple of friends who are very happy to let me use their machines, however, unless I am quilting a donation quilt (a very very good way to learn and get more proficient) I always insist on 'renting' their machine--and their expertise. I am never totally alone so someone is always around to offer suggestions, help right an oopsie, and make sure I am following all the steps in the correct order.

Both friends never want to take money so I have made up my own fee schedule depending on the size of the personal project that I quilt on their machine. I insist and they finally agree. That money usually ends up helping them to pay for batting or backing for more of the guild's donation quilts.

Snooze also has a very valid point. Make up an order form stating the size of the top,who is supplying batting and backing (make VERY sure that the measurements are accurate and backing is adequate) the pantograph and thread colour selections, APPROXIMATE total cost, time frame and down payment. Both parties should sign it and each should have a copy.

When deciding on price per square inch (that is the way it is charged here) check out what some of your competition is charging. You may wish to undercut them a bit until you feel more confident. However, that could be a double edged sword since customers often complain about the cost of professional quilting and might flock to your door, leaving little time for your own projects.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:40 AM

I guess the best way to decide would be to agree to do a quilt for someone at an agreed on price, and see whether you love it or hate it. If it fills you with dread and anxiety, then the money wouldn't be worth it.
Old 05-18-2024, 08:26 AM
mkc

Be aware, if you quilt for others and are paid for it, your longarm is considered a business item and will not be covered by your homeowner's insurance.

If you pursue this, you will also be well-advised to get business as well as liability insurance. If someone were to trip and fall bringing or picking up a quilt, again, your homeowner's won't cover you for their injuries or if they filed a lawsuit.
Old 05-18-2024, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
Be aware, if you quilt for others and are paid for it, your longarm is considered a business item and will not be covered by your homeowner's insurance.

If you pursue this, you will also be well-advised to get business as well as liability insurance. If someone were to trip and fall bringing or picking up a quilt, again, your homeowner's won't cover you for their injuries or if they filed a lawsuit.
Very worthwhile points to consider.

I said "good points" at first, but they are more in the "Oh, *#$%" category.

Old 05-18-2024, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post

Totally good point! We do have insurance on the long arm as it is financed as a sole proprietorship and the finance company insisted, but that is more related to the equipment then the liability you mentioned.

I was actually thinking that if I we did decide to try it, that we would offer local pickup and drop off. My husband is medically retired, so his days are pretty much spent running errands for us and he'd be more than happy to help where he can.

But there have been a lot of great points brought up. I guess we have to really talk it out and decide whether it is something we want to pursue.
Old 05-18-2024, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

How much of your time do you want so spend long-arming?

Just because one is good at something, that does not mean it is necessary to make a business out of it.