Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long-Armers - what do hope to see when an item is brought in? >

Long-Armers - what do hope to see when an item is brought in?

Long-Armers - what do hope to see when an item is brought in?

Old 07-13-2011, 03:11 PM

Wow, this is a great thread. I'm notorious for not making square quilts. And I'd like to do better.

Why does measuring the middle verses the edges work better for borders?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Why does measuring the middle verses the edges work better for borders?
The center measurement seems to be the true measurement (or the top's potential). By the time the borders are added, the far edge may have gone wonky. So measuring the wonky outer edge will just make the final border wavy and the top not lay flat. If you cut/sew the final border to the center measurement, that length will adjust and sort of "force" the top back into submission. If it's too short, the border can be stretched just a bit. If it too long, the border can be eased just a bit.

I have heard people measure across the center and along both edges. In a perfect world, there shouldn't be a difference - or at least not much of a difference. If there is, some people figure out the average of the three measurements and use that as the border dimension.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Jim

Lots of people worry about pet free homes also..but remember LA'ers have allergies as well..make sure if you smoke...wear lots of perfume or have pets...make sure the top is clean, pet hair free, and free of excess threads, ironed is also nice...it takes time to cut off all the threads and they can show through your fabric onto the front side when quilted...
Old 07-13-2011, 03:31 PM

[quote=quilttiludrop]I just received a couple of quilts that were stitched around the raw edges. What a nice touch! Fabrics do stretch, particularly if there are bias edges!

Are those my tops?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
So measuring the wonky outer edge will just make the final border wavy and the top not lay flat
Oh, that's what causes the wavy-ness. Hey, maybe the next time I turn a quilt top in they'll be pleasantly surprised
Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 PM

"I just received a couple of quilts that were stitched around the raw edges. What a nice touch! Fabrics do stretch, particularly if there are bias edges!"

I always stitch around my quilt top before I give it to the longarm quilter, as well as trimming threads, squaring up and pressing it the best I can. I also give her oversized batting and backing. She's never said anything about my quilts but next time I'm going to ask her if there is anything I need to do before I give her a quilt.

I donate a lot of quilt tops to charity groups to finish and I always stitch around the top to keep seams from opening and also attach binding to go with the quilt.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Banned

I agree with all the LA's comments.
We all know that a square block is not always a square block, but we deal with it. but it sure is helpful if:
Long threads are cut, loose odd threads removed,
top and backing squared, (Yes, measure the middle and square it instead of the borders),
pressed, (although if shipped to me they seem to need a bit of easy pressing anyway),
a good quality batting if supplying your own.
And odor, pet hair free.

I have had wonderful experiences with my customer's quilts. Guess I've had the good ones! I look forward to their repeat business!
Old 07-13-2011, 03:54 PM

This is a wonderful post!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:14 PM

[quote=GAgal]
Originally Posted by quilttiludrop
I just received a couple of quilts that were stitched around the raw edges. What a nice touch! Fabrics do stretch, particularly if there are bias edges!

Are those my tops?
Yes! The first one is off the long arm and I have no complaints! :-) You did a great job pressing your seams! :-) Thank you! :-)
Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 PM

Ditto all! And yes, I have customers that I will put at the top of the list simply because it is pure joy to quilt something they've pieced because it is so accurately square and border seams are not coming undone.

I've recently started asking all customers to backstitch just a couple of stitches when putting on that last border.