Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arms - best tips and advice for a beginner >

Long Arms - best tips and advice for a beginner

Long Arms - best tips and advice for a beginner

Old 08-25-2010, 05:36 PM

Don't forget to have your feed dogs down or darning plate on. That little detail threw me on my first time (which was last week).
Old 08-25-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by mytwopals
Here's my advice. Make certain the rails are straight and level. It'll make a bigger difference, than you think. Then enjoy the quilting ride.
That's a good point. I will get the level out and verify when I get to that step.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by wolph33
quilt on some plain fabric for practice before you put your 1st real quilt top on.you can practice different shapes and get your tension adjusted .try swirls and stipple-great for beginners.
That's a good idea. I have a couple of lap quilt tops I was going to use first (it's nice but would be ok to practice on) but maybe just some cheap fabric and batting will do the first time out.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
I spent about 1.5 years listening to people tell me my problem was the thread tension. I just couldn't get it right. One day a wonderful person told me my problem was not the tension, upper or lower, it turned out to be how tight the bobbin was wound which makes it look like a tension problem. Be sure to check how tight the tension on your bobbin winder is. It can make all the difference. The thread in the bobbin should be rather stiff when you press on it with your finger nail and should not make a depression in the wound thread. Of course this is just a guidline and all machines have their own feel and personalities. Congratulations and good luck!
This may sound dumb but...do I need to get a side winder I thought maybe my machine has one but now maybe not? I haven't pulled it out of the box yet.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kristen0112
Originally Posted by ube quilting
I spent about 1.5 years listening to people tell me my problem was the thread tension. I just couldn't get it right. One day a wonderful person told me my problem was not the tension, upper or lower, it turned out to be how tight the bobbin was wound which makes it look like a tension problem. Be sure to check how tight the tension on your bobbin winder is. It can make all the difference. The thread in the bobbin should be rather stiff when you press on it with your finger nail and should not make a depression in the wound thread. Of course this is just a guidline and all machines have their own feel and personalities. Congratulations and good luck!
This may sound dumb but...do I need to get a side winder I thought maybe my machine has one but now maybe not? I haven't pulled it out of the box yet.
Find out first. Is there an instructional DVD with your machine? I hope so. Or as with mine, some one from the company dilivered, set up, balanced the table and got me started. My machine, Nolting, came with a seperate bobbin winder and as with all machines it is hit or miss for awhile untill you get closer and closer to the corect tensions. Then , if you choose a different thread or a quilt has thick seams or thin material, it is always a test. Keep a log on each time you use your machine and how it handles with different fabric loads and thread and even needles, freehand or panto work. Machines act differently with every thing you do on them but only to a degree. After you use the machine for some time you get to know what to do. Start simple and don't be in a hurry to do complicated patterns. Enjoyment is the goal!