Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which LongArm Machine Rulers to get??? >

Which LongArm Machine Rulers to get???

Which LongArm Machine Rulers to get???

Old 09-14-2016, 07:59 AM

My suggestion is to Google search "long arm quilting tools". You'll find several sites of companies that make the templates (or rulers) for long arm quilting, and most of them have tutorials for each ruler. Be aware, however, that although these are for 'ruler work' and 'ruler quilting', some sites refer to them as templates. So before you purchase anything from these sites, be sure to check the thickness of the ruler (or template) and make sure it's quarter inch.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:59 AM

I went to checkout the Craftsy class by Kimmy Brunner and loe and behold I already bought that class but I have a feeling I never bothered to watch it so you know what I'll be doing soon.

Thanks for the tips on Kimmy's class and the various brands of rulers. I have the crosshatch system on my frame so that's one ruler so far.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy60545 View Post
I'm in the same boat as Dunster. I don't do pantos or have a computer. I do do a lot of ruler work & free motion. A straight ruler is your top priority. Circles, ovals, melons would be next on the list of most used. Yes, each quilting machine manufacturer has their own rulers or recommendations, but as long as the rulers are 1/4" thick they're usable on any longarm.
As far as learning, Kimmy Brunner's class on Craftsy is a must! She makes it very easy to learn. As far as Youtube, I recommend Jamie Wallen. He's got some awesome techniques with rulers. iquilt.com had classes by Judi Madsen that are good too. And don't forget Angela Walters, although hers are freemotion & not ruler work, but very good.
Looking forward to seeing some of your awesome stuff you create!
me three ... no computer, rarely do pantos, REALLY like ruler work. I like Jamie Wallen's rulers ("Quilter's Apothecary") .
Old 09-14-2016, 08:09 PM

Cindy I checked and I have already purchased Kimmy's Craftsy class so will start watching it. Someone here offered me rulers for the taking which will get me started or let me know whether I'll even like doing ruler work so all I can say is....THIS GROUP IS THE GREATEST!!!!!

Thanks all for the tips and advice.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:01 PM

the thicker the better.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:14 PM

I'm assuming you have the extended "table" on your LA for rulers, right? If not, it's a MUST for ruler work. I echo what's been said about Deloa Jone's circle Busters for circle---I have just regular circles (came with machine), nested ones AND her's and only use her's if the size works--so much easier and accurate for me. I would suggest you get a straight ruler with plenty of marking that fits you--you'll use it all the time. I also have a few rulers (ok, more than a few-but some rarely get used!) that are a series of 3 (3 hexies, 3 ovals, etc) that snap together--these are very accurate and you really can do lots with them--check Dusty Farrell's website for ideas. I also use my Dusty Farrell "chubby" ruler a lot--straight edge on one side and curve on opposite and just the right size for many blocks. With longer rulers (i.e. the Gammill mini-guide,or curvy ones for border feathers, etc) they will likely be longer than the ruler plate on the machine, so you have to learn to walk your fingers (like when rotary cutting) and that does take some practice--otherwise the ruler tilts and you may hit the ruler with the hopping foot--not good on timing! Most big-time LA have youtubes on various rulers--Jamie Wallen's are good, ditto Kimmy Brunner, Dusty Farrell, DeLoa Jones.

I also love DeLoa's boomerang rulers--great for any curve needed (several sizes) and so easy to do curved cross hatching.

I find that those specialty rulers, like a rope one I bought--just haven't been worth the $$ as I use them so seldom and frankly, any ruler that requires lots of manipulation to use also means more chance for inaccuracy for me.

Last edited by quiltingshorttimer; 09-17-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:59 PM

Quiltingshorttimer, yes, I have the extended table for my machine. Have Kimmy Brunner's Craftsy class to watch and also the crosshatch system for my machine. Someone on this group offered me rulers for the taking to start out with,....a straight edge, couple sets of nesting rulers and a versa ruler for applique. Think these rulers plus what videos/classes I watch will give me a great start. Downloaded all of DeLoa's youtube videos too.

Thanks to all whom gave me tips and suggestions to give me a great start on ruler work.