Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which LongArm Machine Rulers to get??? >

Which LongArm Machine Rulers to get???

Which LongArm Machine Rulers to get???

Old 09-12-2016, 12:16 PM

Default Which LongArm Machine Rulers to get???

Hello, I've been quilting using my robotics all this time and now want to add ruler work but don't know where to start or which rulers to start out with. I have a crosshatch system on my frame so I can do straight lines but would like to add maybe some circles or curves, diamond/triangles. I'll be heading for the DesMoines Quilt Show in early October so will be checking out what the booths have to offer. Would rather like to have someone show me how to use them and what all can be done with them. Any suggestions which rulers and brands I should be checking out online before I go to the quilt show?

Also, is ruler work really hard to learn? I can't seem to master freemotion so that's the reason for the robotics but would like to be able to do some fill in in those hard to fit area.

Suggestions appreciated. I don't have anyone around here to teach me so will be basically going blind teaching myself unless I can get some videos/youtube to show me how its done. Maybe I'm taking on more than I can chew.

Last edited by Snooze2978; 09-12-2016 at 12:16 PM. Reason: add options for receiving responses
Old 09-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

At the show they will show you/ demonstrate all the great things you can do with different rulers. I have an HQ long arm so my rulers come from them. I'm sure all of the machine brands have many specialty rulers to choose from. When I visit the HQ website I can browse products, choose an interesting ruler and access videos of it being used.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

I highly recommend the Craftsy course, Machine Quilting with Templates by Kimmy Brunner.

I've bought far more templates than I actually use, so I would start out with just a few. Different size circles are helpful, as are ovals. I also like using a heart occasionally. You need at least one straight line template in addition to your crosshatch system. I wouldn't bother with triangles or diamonds since you can do them with straight lines. I don't care for the nested rulers, but I do have a set (spiderweb shape) and I use them only occasionally. I didn't find that it was difficult to do ruler work, and I do only that and free motion - no computerized quilting (although I would love to have that available) and no pantographs. I use the straight rulers extensively for SITD. I also don't care for the rulers with handles on them, but some people love them. That's another reason to buy cautiously until you find out whether you like ruler work, and what types of rulers you prefer.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:57 PM

I would definitely recommend trying some out at the show. I would go to my LA dealer's booth, and ask them to both demo rulers to you, as well as letting YOU "test drive" them. That way, you have the same "feel" as your machine and can try out several different rulers.
You may find that a LA dealer has a preference (if it's not their own brand, like HQ). Find out why they prefer a particular brand.

For me personally, I really like Lisa Calle's rulers. She has several different ones - circles, cross-hatching, curved cross-hatching and more. I have about 8-9 of her rulers. She also has a couple of DVD's out (both of which I have.)

I'm not affiliated with her in any way - I just love her products.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

I use circles a lot. I have I like to do designs based on continuous curve (orange peel). I have several of DeLoa's circle buster rulers. When you do a design based on a circle, you have to move the template so that sometimes it's to the right and sometimes to the left of the foot. Unless you are ambidextrous, it may be hard to hold the template and sew. The Circle Buster rulers are made so they have an 'innie' and 'outie' side so you can always hold the machine with your dominant hand and easily hold the template with the other.
http://www.deloasquiltshop.com/shop/allproducts.html
Old 09-13-2016, 09:32 AM

PaperPrincess, went to Deloas's website and downloaded all the videos about her rulers. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

I was thinking about getting the Westalee Ruler Foot for my domestic machine but found out that the dealers are starting to balk at supporting warranty IF you get that foot hooked up with the needle down (apparently that is a disaster). So I will wait to do ruler work until I can get back to the quilting machine.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I use circles a lot. I have I like to do designs based on continuous curve (orange peel). I have several of DeLoa's circle buster rulers. When you do a design based on a circle, you have to move the template so that sometimes it's to the right and sometimes to the left of the foot. Unless you are ambidextrous, it may be hard to hold the template and sew. The Circle Buster rulers are made so they have an 'innie' and 'outie' side so you can always hold the machine with your dominant hand and easily hold the template with the other.
http://www.deloasquiltshop.com/shop/allproducts.html
Very interesting site, the rulers look like there is a lot of thought into making them user friendly. I've bookmarked this for future review. Thanks for sharing the info
Old 09-14-2016, 03:28 AM

I'm in the same boat as Dunster. I don't do pantos or have a computer. I do do a lot of ruler work & free motion. A straight ruler is your top priority. Circles, ovals, melons would be next on the list of most used. Yes, each quilting machine manufacturer has their own rulers or recommendations, but as long as the rulers are 1/4" thick they're usable on any longarm.
As far as learning, Kimmy Brunner's class on Craftsy is a must! She makes it very easy to learn. As far as Youtube, I recommend Jamie Wallen. He's got some awesome techniques with rulers. iquilt.com had classes by Judi Madsen that are good too. And don't forget Angela Walters, although hers are freemotion & not ruler work, but very good.
Looking forward to seeing some of your awesome stuff you create!
Old 09-14-2016, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
PaperPrincess, went to Deloas's website and downloaded all the videos about her rulers. Thanks for the tip.
What a great site! I always wondered how the rulers work, but don't have anyone to help me either. Thanks for sharing this one.