Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
???? Longarm quilting machines >

???? Longarm quilting machines

???? Longarm quilting machines

Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM

Go to a large quilt show and try out the setups the vendors have brought with them. There are usually at least 3 vendors with a couple of different setups. You can see what you like. Computerized setups are really for people who do a lot of quilting for $$$ for other people, IMHO. If you are quilting for yourself only, there are many reasonably priced setups for home use...many 18" machines with 12' frames that would work great for you. You just have to go try them out.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Little RoO
It is my dream to have a long arm and about a year ago I started to look seriously at them.
I am in the UK so not such a wide choice and not so easy to even see them....but I have decided against one not just because of cost, but also because of the space needed and also the time that it would take me to learn to use it so that I would be confident to do a quilt.
If you just want to do the computerised designs then that would be fine...but if you want to quilt round dsigns...then this becomes an art which unless you are really talented will take much time to learn.
It's such a huge purchase I think you have to be really confident that you will be able to do what you want to achieve........best of luck with either your purchase or finding someone talented that can do the quilting for you.....as for me I'll continue practising my FMQ and dreaming.
I went to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham (UK) last year and ended up ordering an HQ Sweet Sixteen sit down. Sixteen inches of room, but set level in a table 30in x 36in. Loads of room to quilt a King size, and the only way I could get a machine this big in my house. Since I can't stand for long periods, a true Long arm on a table with frame wouldn't have suited me anyway, but as second hand value, my machine can still be converted to that set up if needed. Check out the Handiquilter website to see what it looks like. I love mine.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 PM

Have you looked into Flynn Mulit-Frame System ?
I just brought one, for I too like to make Big quilts. I just got it. I have to adapt the frame by buying larger polls at home depot, but I think its going work. it $150. vs 15,000. Oh and you can use your own machine with it.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

I only wish that when I bought my long arm the rep would have told me that they also sell used and refurbished machines. It is a big investment for a hobbyist, a small one if you are serious about going into a cottage business.
I have seen many embroidered quilts. You will have to look for one that will take their time. It will cost more, and that's probably why some people don't want to do work like this. They want the quick turn-a-round for the $ they can make.

Have you posted any of your work on the board? It sounds interesting and would love to see it!
peace :D

AlexJ that's a great idea. I've been interested in this for a while. Please post with a review after you test it out!

You can also get a Grace or Hinterberg table that uses your own home sewing machine which is hundreds rather than thousands. Just some ideas!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Buckeye Rose. I would check out some of the long arm quilters on this board. The 120" may be an issue for some. Even though many frames are 10 feet, you can't put a 10 foot quilt on it. you loose several inches on the ends. You can have a whole lotta quilts done for $15K. That said, I purchased a used Tin Lizzie and am having lots of fun. You do need to test drive as many brands as you can.
There are many posts on this topic, if you do a search you will get lots more info. here's a recent one:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-137755-1.htm#3703692
Old 07-18-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
I only wish that when I bought my long arm the rep would have told me that they also sell used and refurbished machines. It is a big investment for a hobbyist, a small one if you are serious about going into a cottage business.
I have seen many embroidered quilts. You will have to look for one that will take their time. It will cost more, and that's probably why some people don't want to do work like this. They want the quick turn-a-round for the $ they can make.

Have you posted any of your work on the board? It sounds interesting and would love to see it!
peace :D

AlexJ that's a great idea. I've been interested in this for a while. Please post with a review after you test it out!

You can also get a Grace or Hinterberg table that uses your own home sewing machine which is hundreds rather than thousands. Just some ideas!
Will send you a PM when I get it going if that's ok
Old 07-18-2011, 02:29 PM

Another idea is to quilt on your home machine in thirds.
Layer your top, batting and backing. Pin or spray the center section. Gently fold back the top third and cut out that piece of batting only. Do the same for both ends. Quilt the center 1/3. Add the batting back to one end and quilt and then the other end and then quilt
You will only be quilting about 40 inches at a time, so much easier to handle on a home machine. I use a little basting spray on the edges when I'm putting the batting back in the sandwich. Don't overlap but butt to the edges.
Works very well.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter1430
Actually, a "basic" longarm will run you at least $15,000 ... the computer version are an additional $15,000 or so, for a total of over $30,000. I bought my Gammill longarm 8 years ago and paid just over $15,000. I think the price has gone up since then.
Gammels are very expensive. There are reliable, industrial grade, name brand LA machines that don't carry that high a price tag. A1 and Innova are two that come to mind immediately. I have not priced APQS or Nolting machines so wouldn't know. I do know you can get a "basic" Innova 18" with a stitch regulator and frame for less than $10K and a 26" a bit more.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:01 PM

Innova's are great.pm hperttula123 if you need something quilted.she can work around the embroidery and does a great job with reasonable pricing
Old 07-18-2011, 05:04 PM

One of the best features of the Statler Stitcher ( the computerized Gammills ) allows you to mark areas on your quilt that you don't wish to quilt. The computer quilts up to the spot and ties off. It then picks up where the pattern would have if you hadn't asked it to skip that area. I'm not sure that I'm explaining it well enough, but it leaves a continuous pattern, with preplanned areas that would highlight your embroidery. Any Quilter with a Statler can provide this service if they choose to!. Just as an aside Gammills start around $6000. The stitch regulated model starts at $8995. That model includes a 12ft table. The cheapest Statler is $19,995. The top of the line Statler is $28900. Good luck!