Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
???? Longarm quilting machines >

???? Longarm quilting machines

???? Longarm quilting machines

Old 07-18-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Redhead
I do machine embroidery,and turn my finished pieces into quilts. The quilts I make are VERY large. The last one was the story of the night before Christmas, which measured 120" x 120". My problem is being able to quilt my quilts. They are too big to quilt them in the sewing machine. I've checked into having them professionally quilted, but was told the embroidery work would get into the way and would be too much trouble for them to do the quilting.. so I have to hand quilting them. Now here is my dilemma, should I invest in a long arm quilting machine? if so which one? Should I spend $ 15,00.00 on a fancy computer job or a basic model? Is hand guided with styus better than no lighted stylu? Every quilt shop I have called or visited has tried to sell me their top of the line models without giving me the answers to my problems. Any help and suggestions would be so very welcome and needed. :?:
You were (IMHO) not given good information!!! I have a 14' machine and can take up to 144" quilts (short side!). Those with 12' machines should be able to do 120". As for the embroidery, it's not a problem. Depending on the size of the throat of the machine, and they type of batting used, we can usually go larger on the long side of the quilts.

For this quilt, I stitched right through the embroidery. It does not detract from the embroidery at all. If it had been necessary, I could have gone around them.

http://wheatridgestudios.blogspot.co...ish-chain.html
Old 07-18-2011, 05:55 PM

Check the APQS website. They have used machines. They might be able to give you more info. I have looked at the Lenni. He is one of the newest machines that is not too large.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:40 AM

A good site to visit is: www.houseofhanson.com
They answer a lot of questions and raise a couple you haven't thought of.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:56 AM

I have an HQ Avante without the pro stitcher and it is lovely! 12 frame and a ten foot quilt easily fits.
Our sales person did not pressure us into buying any extra bells and whistles and even gave us the option of upgrading with the pro stitcher at the show price for a year. We use a few rulers and pantos but mostly free motion quilting on our quilts as it is so easy!
We paid just under $10,000 (canadian) and manage to recoup some of this cost by letting other quilters rent time on the machine. This gives me the pleasure of quilting all of my projects myself (my husband too as he quilts as well) and also the pleasure of meeting other quilters and giving them the same opportunity.
Good luck with your shopping!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:59 AM

If you talked to a longarmer and they don't want to do the quilt with the embroidery, they are limiting what they do, big time. Look around for someone else to do it.
There are several on here that do beautiful work, ask them. I have a home stretched machine and I love it. That being said, longarming is not for everyone. I would look for someone else to do my quilting before investing that much in a machine you may not like using.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:30 AM

I just got my sweet 16 long arm. Its a sit down version of a long arm but it doesn't take up the space. I am just learning on it but I should be able to do a king size quilt on it. Go to the quilt shows and test out various machines. You don't need to spend 15 grand on a machine, you can spend less than 5,000 on one which is less than some embroidery machines.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:38 AM

I have a Voyager 17 with stitch regulator (18" space for quilting), paid less than $5,000 and have been very happy with it.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:14 AM

Check out Bailey Home quilter.com
I just purchased Bailey 13 in May and I quilted this log on it. It has embroidery work.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-228729.jpe  
Old 07-19-2011, 04:16 AM

I have a Avante (Handi Quilter) and it is less that $15,000. I use it to quilt my things and a few things for others. NOt used for a business but worth it to get the larger quilts done. Good Luck. I just went to a show and went around and tried all the long arms and decided for the price and for what I wanted to do that this was my best choice.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:18 AM

In Springfield, MO the is a quilt shop that sell's long arms and also rents them in their shop so you can go there and they will help you practice and get set up. A lot of the people have done their own enough to get quit good. Only thing is I felt for the cost a day I can pay some one to do my quilts. Shop for a long arm quilter there are some really good ones that do custom work but it will cost be sure you see their work first, I had three quilts, ruined because I just took someones word she was good and inexpesive. She was inexpensive, and I got what I paid for. I still won't live long enough paying a good quilter to match what it cost to buy a long arm and then still have to do the work. I would rather spend my time making my quilts.