Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm quilting is not cheating >

Longarm quilting is not cheating

Longarm quilting is not cheating

Old 03-17-2012, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by bunbytes View Post
How considerate of her to take the time out of her busy schedule to develop such an interest in your project! Maybe she's the one the "Church Lady" on SNL was bases on.
I don't watch SNL. Does the church lady insist everyone live by her rules?
Old 03-17-2012, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by jeemmerling621 View Post
. . . proclaims that what I am doing "is cheating,
I'll have to check my quilting rulebook, I must have missed that page.

Tate
Old 03-17-2012, 01:14 PM

Wow! I have so many quilts to make for my loved ones..it was taking me a couple years to make and hand quilt each one so last year I bought a quilting machine and table..now I can quilt them in a week..they look good..I make my own free hand designs.. I want them to cuddle up in them and know that every stitch in them is a symbol of how much I pray for and love them... machine quilting is like line drawing...such fun!!! I am 75...I have at least 11 more grand kids to get a quilt made for..plus christmas and birthdays...other people to bless..I love machine quilting!!!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:17 PM

I think it may have more to do with the person than their age. Right now I have a quilt being done by an 82 year old long arm quilter!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:05 PM

I think I would have asked her if she still cooks over an open fire and hangs ALL her laundry out to dry? And then I'd ask her where she hitched her horse because I'm sure she didn't DRIVE there
Old 03-17-2012, 07:08 PM

Doesn't she have any great grandkids to hassle?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:31 PM

I don't have time to hand quilt everyone I do. For quilts I want used and dragged around, I would hate to put that much time into it. Besides, I don't have a room where I can put a quilt up and leave it until it is done. Long arm or machine quilting works fine for me.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by pacquilter View Post
I think it may have more to do with the person than their age. Right now I have a quilt being done by an 82 year old long arm quilter!!!
It is the person. Another parishioner made it clear to me that his mother said a REAL quilt was hand quilted not machine quilted like Walmart quilts. We were still on church property, so I let that one ride.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
jeemmerling -

I volunteered with the elderly for many years and know that aging effects each of us in such varied ways. People tend to assume that the person was always rude or inconsiderate, or etc. But there is every chance that this lady was not like this her whole life. When confronted with innapropriate behavior in an elderly person, please keep in mind that you just never know what it is that removed their social filters. I have had knowledge of several people's characters beforehand and know they would now be mortified by their current behavior. So, yes, she was unbelievably rude, but polite tolerance should be the response. Remember the saying "There, but for the grace of God, go I."

I have to agree with this statement. One never know what removed one's filter. It could be a stroke or any number of medical conditions. Years ago as a teenager I worked in a nursing home for a few days as a snack person, unitl I knew it wasn't the job for me. There was a lady on one of the floors who cussed a blue streak. Every word out of her mouth was a cuss word. One of the nurses explained to me the lady had, had a stroke apparently had never cussed, but since the stroke cussed like a sailor on a Saturday shore leave. That phrase always stuck with me. LOL
While not an excuse for everyone, it is a possible explination.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:11 AM

That reminds me of the story about the woman who, when she made a roast for dinner, before she put the meat in the roasting pan - she cut off the ends of it. When her daughter asked why she did that, she answered, "That's what my Mother did." So, when the daughter was at Gramma's house, she aske Gramma, "Why do you cut the ends off the meat before you put it in the pan?" Gramma answered, "Because it didn't fit in the pan."

So, what I'm saying is, that was how some were taught to do it, doesn't mean we have to do it that way forever!
We are always learning and discovering new things everyday. No reason not to learn and try the new stuff.