Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Longarm Quilting Software (like QBOT)

What are the options for the automated quilting design software that can be attached to a longarm? I am finding that I don't love FMQ on it and am entertaining getting one of the automated software systems. Which ones are out there, what are the costs and how do you like the one you have experience with?

I am amazed by QBOT but I can't afford it. Sigh.

I just bought QBOT but don't have it yet! It was the demo model for a store in Ohio with a branch here in KY. I got a great price on it ($3000 off) and I'm paying a little extra, less than $200, to have it upgraded to the newer version. I've watched the videos and I'm really looking forward to working with it. It does a lot--unfortunately, I don't know anything about any of the other programs but a lot of people use them on the yahoo groups I'm on. Good luck on finding something.

The robotic systems I know of are:

PC Quilter - http://www.pcquilter.com
    MQR - http://quiltingrobotics.com/
    Q-bot - http://www.myqbot.com/
    The Side Saddle - http://www.thequiltingsolution.com/sidesaddle.html

The Shirley Stitcher - http://shirleysticher.blogspot.com/

And then you can get really crazy with the true longarm robotics such as Compuquilter, Intelliquilter, Statler Stitcher and lord knows what.

Please be aware that most if not all of these are not compatible with all frames and/or sewing machines. It is not the software so much as it is the hardware. I have a PC Quilter which is fine & dandy for the B-Line Studio Frame I started with but needs several modifications made to the ProFlex frame I now have. The Q-Bot hardware seems to be more easily adaptable but the software to design your own patterns is much more expensive and not included in the base price. It is really cool, though and I think I saw a "Grace" version of the Q-Bot and I don't know what the difference between the 2 is.

I haven't played with any of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY
    What are the options for the automated quilting design software that can be attached to a longarm? I am finding that I don't love FMQ on it and am entertaining getting one of the automated software systems. Which ones are out there, what are the costs and how do you like the one you have experience with?
    What kind of machine are you using?

I have the Qbot and the software. I really like it. It would have taken me years of practice to be able to quilt as well as the Qbot.

Don't those machine cost like 35,000.00? I love free hand quilting myself lol.

what machine do you use the Qbot with ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    It all depends on which machine, which robot & which frame. You can buy a brand new Juki TL98 and a Little Gracie Frame for less than $2,000. Adding the PC Quilter would be maybe $1,500 but you can find a used one for much less. This would be the very basic beginner setup though. I started with a B-Line Studio frame ($1,000) and an Elna 7200 ($1,300) but the Elna is really an all around, bells & whistles galore machine so it wasn't strictly for the frame. I added the Professional model PC Quilter a couple years later as well as Max Throat & Free Motion Max. I think that was right at $3,000 for all and all purchased brand new--again, used is considerably cheaper & fairly easy to find.

This past spring, I stumbled across a Voyager 17 with stitch regulator and a SuperQuilter ProFlex frame on ebay. There wasn't a very good description but I knew what it was and have been drooling over the longer armed machines for a couple years now. I got the whole package so cheap that I'm embarrassed to say how much. I know it was the steal of a lifetime but good things come to those who wait & do their homework while they are waiting.

I watched the Q-Bot system and asked the rep a few questions while in Paducah this past April. It is neat & I really liked how easily the software could digitize designs but I all ready own a robot that works just fine. I'll just keep digitizing the hard way for now although I'm fairly excited about the beta version of Embird 2010. If I can figure out how to use it, I might be able to get over my envy of the Q-Bot software--LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie Scherr
    The signature says: Terry
    Viking Platinum 755Q
    Pfaff GQ 1200, NG frame & Qbot

The one I watched was on a Hinterberg Stretch frame with a Voyager 17. The hardware part of Q-bot did seem less complicated and more easily adaptable to most any frame or machine.

I'm using the Qbot with a Pfaff GrandQuilter 9" throat machine. I do wish I had a larger machine, though. It can be adapted to use a number of different machine, including ABM Innova, HQ, Tim Lizzie, Pfaff, Viking and others.

qbot has been upgraded to Quilt Artist much larger screen to work with.

Qbot is still being marketed as Qbot as of April 2011. Quilt Artist is a different setup at this time (they ended their relationship or something like that).

I have the Qbot on a TL18LS (2009 model) and love it. I got a demo for under 1700.00 USD and the software was about 200.00 USD. For the price, I couldn't beat it.

PCquilter Side Mount was going to be over 3,000 USD by the time I got everything I needed...and it would have taken up about a foot of my frames quilting space. The Qbot takes up about 3" if that...love it!

Nothing to disconnect to do free motion...just don't engage a qbot design...and you are in your normal machine mode.

Quote Originally Posted by margecam52
    Qbot is still being marketed as Qbot as of April 2011. Quilt Artist is a different setup at this time (they ended their relationship or something like that).

I have the Qbot on a TL18LS (2009 model) and love it. I got a demo for under 1700.00 USD and the software was about 200.00 USD. For the price, I couldn't beat it.

PCquilter Side Mount was going to be over 3,000 USD by the time I got everything I needed...and it would have taken up about a foot of my frames quilting space. The Qbot takes up about 3" if that...love it!

Nothing to disconnect to do free motion...just don't engage a qbot design...and you are in your normal machine mode.
    You did get a bargain!

I think I did. And it's already updated to 2.7 (2.9 is for 12-14 ft frame & mine is 10ft, so didn't need it).

Someday, when my space grows, I'll get a longer frame...don't see it happening anytime soon...and I can do a king size quilt on this frame (end to end, but can do).

If you call around to Joanns or Pfaff/Viking dealers & ask, they may have demo Qbots for a bargain price.

Qbot sent me an email and they said they are not being replaced.

just to throw another into the mix, i don't think any one mentioned

Quilt Motion by Grace Frame

I have a Tin Lizzie 18LS but don't have a computerized system. I wanted to learn to quilt freehand before getting a computer. I hate doing pantos, or rather working from the back of the machine, so I may look for one soon too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    There aren't many comments I don't like, but this is one of them. A Gammill Statler Stitcher computerized quilting system ( arguably the best system) starts at $19,995. The 30 inch model goes for $28,900. There are plenty of options available to raise the price quite nicely. I like free hand too. These machines hold their value better then cars ( for example ), and produce income, as well as great joy for those who invest in them. What does it matter the cost , if it is replaced by great value? The monthly payment is very affordable for many quilters.

I am just waiting for my new Tin Lizzie 18 DLS and Phoenix frame to be delivered - can't wait, I'm so excited. I'm thinking of purchasing a qbot from eBay. The one I have my eye on is version 2. Do you know if I could upgrade to v. 2.07/2.09 and how much would it cost?

Ask the seller if it's 2.0, or 2.?

They are a great addition to your quilting tools.

The difference between 1.? and 2.?, is the ability to go from 2 point scaling to 4 point scaling.

2 point allows you to set the size of a block/rectangle, etc. quilting area. 4 point allows you to choose an irregular area...say the quilt is not quite perfect...you can choose the size of the area, not just a square/ rectangle.

Quote Originally Posted by munchkin
    I am just waiting for my new Tin Lizzie 18 DLS and Phoenix frame to be delivered - can't wait, I'm so excited. I'm thinking of purchasing a qbot from eBay. The one I have my eye on is version 2. Do you know if I could upgrade to v. 2.07/2.09 and how much would it cost?

Is there anyone using Grace Quilt Motion on with a Viking Mega quilter 18 x 8 on an Inspira machine? I am transferring my Quilt motion form a Juki to this setup. I am just looking to find someone to run questions, issue back and forth with

I use Intelliquilter and love all the design possibilities it has.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Quote Originally Posted by mytwopals View Post
    I have the Qbot and the software. I really like it. It would have taken me years of practice to be able to quilt as well as the Qbot.
    I am having trouble finding info on the Qbot, does it attach onto the carriage like a stitch regulator and it runs the carriage rather than the long arm quilter?

Thanks for any direction