Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm Timing issue need a little help >

Longarm Timing issue need a little help

Longarm Timing issue need a little help

Old 10-21-2016, 02:58 AM

Default Longarm Timing issue need a little help

Okay, so in June we moved and I took my longarm down for about 2 months. Hubby put it up and I got a quilt loaded and everything seemed fine. I was quilting the last block on the last row of quilt and CRASH. My machine made horrible noise then part of needle went flying and then the machine was just stuck. Somehow the needle, well part of the needle, wrapped itself around the bobbin. Hubby got the needle out and then the timing seemed off so he started messing with that and now the timing seems great, the tension is great but when I go to do a swirl the thread breaks. I can stitch in a straight line and do a little stippling but a swirl means break. Husband is extremely handy when it comes to fixing stuff so I thought I would check with the experts here before I brought it to shop to wait up to 8 weeks to hear what's wrong. With Christmas coming I really want my longarm working proper....lots of gifts to get done.

I have a Tin Lizzy 18

Thanks for reading and any advice will be appreciated

Tammy
Old 10-21-2016, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

There are a couple of you tube videos on timing a TL18
Here is the first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfCyFiWPgg
There also is a yahoo group dedicated to TL 18s. You may also want to join that group as it is specific to your machine.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I don't know anything specifically about the Tin Lizzie, so take this with a grain of salt. Usually if a machine will sew at all then the timing is okay. The problem you're having with broken threads could be completely unrelated to timing. Check everything else - thread path, condition of bobbin and bobbin case, etc.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:19 AM

Thanks PaperPrincess :-) Hubby has videos just about memorized but wasn't aware of group that I am awaiting approval.

I think you are right Dunster will be inspecting for burrs along the path tonight and I have some emery cloth ready to go. :-)
Old 10-21-2016, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

I would guess there is a burr that the thread is catching on. As it moves in the varying direction. The bent needle may have nicked the throat plate and may need to be sanded smooth. Just a guess.

hope it all works out for you.
peace
Old 10-21-2016, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

It may be that the thread is breaking when you go in a specific direction. I would experiment to determine if this is the case. In other words, try sewing straight lines in various directions.

It may be a timing issue, or there may be a burr or bent bobbin case, or even a bent bobbin. It could also be a tension issue involving the specific combination of needle and thread you are using. I think your best bet is to work on one thing at a time, systematically, to see if you can narrow down the issue.

Here are links to Jamie Wallen Youtube videos that talk about de-warping a bobbin case and adjusting tension on any longarm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlMgxd2bXwY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM

Some timing issues can be solved simply by switching to a different needle type or different needle size.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:18 PM

My thought is that the needle damaged the hook, and it needs to be polished a bit. We just use a very fine sandpaper (about 400 - 600 grit), and sand from underneath or the back side -- never on the side that's next to the needle. Too much polishing isn't good, so be very gentle.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:57 PM

I agree with quilted sunshine. I was thinking perhaps a burr in the bobbin area maybe caused by the needle.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:09 PM

Let us know how you fixed the problem please.