Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
longarmers and Minkee fabric - need input >

longarmers and Minkee fabric - need input

longarmers and Minkee fabric - need input

Old 01-12-2014, 03:31 PM

Default longarmers and Minkee fabric - need input

I would like some input from any longarm quilters who have done a quilt with Minkee as the backing fabric and a regular pieced cotton quilt top. I have some of the cuddle bubble for the backing....the kind with the "dimples." I've read several comments on here about using it, but haven't noted anyone who longarm quilted with this. Would love to hear your tips, etc and how it turned out. Noticed that a lot of DSM quilters said to spray and pin, pin, pin. But, just wondering if that's necessary with a longarm machine. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:49 PM

I am a long-armer, and I have done only one crib quilt with Minkee. It was a ROUGH 6 hours to quilt...and I probably won't do another. That's just me, tho...I have heard others on this board say they have done them with no problems...I think there must be a certain way to put the Minkee on the frame, maybe selvedge to the sides?? I must not have listened very well, because as I said, the one I did is probably the only one. Wish I could be of some help, but hang in there, someone else will be along and have better info. Did you try searching for the topic on here? I did learn one thing...that's the stretchiest fabric I know of!
So....good luck!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:29 PM

I have only used Minkee once on my longarm - it was a childs quilt - but don't remember the size - I did not use batting and I am glad I didn't - it was heavy enough without - anyway - I did a large meander all over the quilt and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was and looked nice on back. I don't think I would densely quilt with Minkee - I just don't think it would look good. BTW it was cotton on front - Minkee on the back and I used cotton thread.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:24 AM

I did a crib quilt with the bumpy minkee on the back. Like Otis, I did a loose meander and it turned out well. I also wouldn't try to quilt densely with minkee. Mine was also cotton pieced on the front.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

I have a midarm on a frame and have used minkee on the backs of a few baby/toddler sized quilts (45 X 60). The stretch can be a little problematic so you have to be quite careful to not over tighten the backing on the frame. Also because of the thickness of minkee the roll on the take-up bar grows rapidly so I would not attempt anything bigger on my setup, and I agree with others minkee is not suitable for dense quilting or patterns with a lot of detail simple meander works great.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:41 AM

I have quilted on the LA with Minky on back and cotton on front. I have tried both ways to load the Minky and I really like the selvages on the sides best. You do have to be really careful not to stretch the Minky as you roll it up. I do not put batting in it, but want to try a thin layer of flannel in between.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

The one time I tried using Minkee it was a disaster. Tufts of the minkee migrated to the top through the needle holes and looked awful. I ended up having to rip what I did and get a different backing. Many LAQ have used it with no ill effect but others have had the same awful experience I did. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it does not. In my case I did have a poly batting in the quilt and was using a cotton thread. Some suggested a denser batting like W&N and Poly thread. I doubt I will ever try LAQ with Minkee again. It left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. Too bad too, because I love how the stuff feels.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:34 AM

I have used Minkee on two quilts. I loaded the minkee with selveges pinned to the leaders. When loading the minkee onto the rollers I was very careful not to stretch the minkee. Also I used polyester thread for quilting. I tried using cotton but kept getting large loops on top and bottom of quilt. I used a size 18 needle and stitched slowly. I kept the quilt a bit loose on the frame while quilting so the backing would not stretch.

I would like to use it again on a quilt but just not too sure I will. Quilting with Minkee fabric is a lot like trying to quilt MARSHMALLOW FLUFF.

But it does look really good when finished.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:16 PM

I've used Minkee on several quilts with no problem, as long as you remember not to stretch it. I just finished a queen sized quilt and it turned out so nice. I did use batting. I,m a true Minkee lover!
Old 01-13-2014, 01:55 PM

I love Minky backing on my quilts. I don't LA myself, but my friend who does says, "no problem," and they never have been. She used pantos, and the quilts have always been wonderful - no tufts of Minky coming through no stretching problems. My guess is that there are many differing qualities of what we call "Minky." I have always used the ones that cost about $16-$17/yd at my LQS. I would guess that the cheaper ones might be more problematic.