Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marcia Layton Kit and Pattern.... >

Marcia Layton Kit and Pattern....

Marcia Layton Kit and Pattern....

Old 01-13-2014, 06:08 AM

Wink Marcia Layton Kit and Pattern....

I purchased the pattern and kit for Harvest Road - it was wonderful fun project - however... to any of you out there who do one of these great quilts - I would suggest that you do the quilting BEFORE adding all those yo-yos and embellishments. I am having a horrible time trying to quilt around all of those items that make this quilt so dimensional and neat!!! I am in the process of "unquilting" the quilt and trying another method in order to complete this project. I wish I had thought the process through - how much easier it would have been to quilt then embellish......Oh well - this is a lesson well learned. I am not dissatisfied with the project - just a bit frustrated at this time...but I will finish it and it will be a reminder to think before one goes yo-yo crazy!!!!! LOL!!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I'm surprised the pattern instructions didn't tell you how to go about the quilting and embellishing. It seems like that's an important part of making the quilt. The design is beautiful and I hope you'll post a picture of yours when you're done.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:47 AM

I just googled that pattern and I see what you mean, lots of yo-yos! But it is a really cute pattern so I bet your quilt looks great. Thanks for the tip because I'm sure I will attempt a quilt with yo-yos one day and its good to know. Best of luck with the quilting!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:53 AM

I have done 2 of her wallhanging patterns. I love her work but her directions are a bit unclear and differ from pattern to pattern. I agree with you that the quilting is before adding all the yo-yo's. Fun little quilts though.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:46 PM

I guess following directions to the letter can be a problem sometimes... I will in the future quilt before all those yoyos go on the top.... this has been a learning experience for sure. Oh well - live and learn!! LOL!! Her patterns are so cute - I thought I would look into purchasing another when I come across her products at a show.... well not sure yet...we will see. Thanks for the input from you fine quilting board folks.