Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarms and Frames (Q'nique And Cutie Specifically) >

Longarms and Frames (Q'nique And Cutie Specifically)

Longarms and Frames (Q'nique And Cutie Specifically)

Old 03-05-2023, 07:16 AM

I had a Q’nique 15R for a while. Have since upgraded but it was a great machine. I loved it.
i have a friend looking similar as you and i am going to recommend she get a cutie frame to use her current machine on. It’s a great way to start. See if you like it. Smaller. Less $$
Old 03-05-2023, 08:15 PM

I got the hoop frame to use with my domestic. Had planned on the cutie but my husband thankfully talked me out of it. It is slightly bigger than the cutie but does have to stay up. After several months I managed to get the qnique 15pro and love it. I couldn't swing the price of the moxie at the time. I do dream of the day I can have another room for a rolling frame but am glad I do have my frame. So much easier physically than using a walking foot or fmq on domestic! No matter what kind you choose give yourself plenty of grace! Almost two years in and I get nervous about starting. Designs that I could do sitting I now struggle with, then suddenly they may work the first time attempting. The shifting of large quilts gets easier with practice also
Old 03-06-2023, 07:50 AM

I have the Cutie frame with a Juki TL2010 on it. I have no space for anything larger at this time and have to share with my dining room which means I can't leave set up all the time. The Cutie is easy to set up and take down and it stores behind a chair in the den (about 3 ft x 3 ft) including my machine and tote with extras. Most people don't like the Cutie frame because it is a hoop and you do have to rehoop often but it becomes faster the more you use it. There is a Facebook page called Cutie Quilters that offers lots of help and ideas for using the frame. I thought about getting a Q'unique 15 for my frame but weight (47 lbs) is not something I can move around by myself and store out of the way. I suggest that anyone thinking of the Cutie should test drive one prior to buying if at all possible that was what I did. I have to say that moving machine on frame is a lot less strain than moving quilt under the machine. One last thing is the Grace has a new frame it has introduced which is a hoop frame that you can change to a rail frame and also allows you to upgrade the size at a later time.
https://graceframe.com/en/product/qu...ion-hoop-frame
Old 03-06-2023, 01:33 PM

NZ -- great to see you! Hugs to all the kiddos. I cannot wait to see the quilting you are going to do with your own frame!!
Old 03-07-2023, 04:42 AM

The Cutie frame has been on sale off and on for $485.00 There is a Cutie Face Book page, lots of information and a lot of regrets from people who bought it. Many have broken parts while they were putting it together. Some have gone out and purchased things to make the Cutie easier to use. I've read a lot of complaints, people have put them up for sale. I've also read great reviews from people who love it and have quilted many quits with it. The main complaint is the small work space and you have to keep moving the quilt and reloading it on the frame.
Old 03-12-2023, 02:39 PM

A Cutie frame will only accommodate up to a 19" or smaller. The Qnique is no longer being made. I have a table from Home Depot that can raise or lower (crank). I'm using my Cutie right now with my Pfaff Creative Icon since it has the largest throat space. I'll never have room for anything much larger. I'd love to pair the frame with a 16" or 19", but not in the budget right now.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:40 AM

I cannot recommend a particular brand - but if space is an issue, I would go for a sit down machine.

If you are set on a longarm - look at the various frames. Some of them will allow you to expand or contract the length. Not an easy process, but assuming it takes you 6 months to assemble a Full/Queen quilt top.

I just bought a LA -- and have to say that learning to use it has been a much harder learning curve than expected. Also - I no longer have a formal dining room, but some sacrifices were to be expected....
Old 03-14-2023, 08:46 AM

Thank you all for your input! I really appreciate all the words of wisdom! I've thought about it and I'm thinking of getting a sit down machine. It will be a huge upgrade for me from my vintage machines, I feel better about fitting something like that into a corner of the living room. If I get a sit down from a good reputation company (Sweet Sixteen, used APQS George, etc...) I could sell it in a few years if I suddenly get room for a full frame long arm. There is an APQS dealer right here in my town, and a HandiQuilter dealer about 50 miles away.

Last edited by NZquilter; 03-14-2023 at 08:48 AM.