Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
look what I found! >

look what I found!

look what I found!

Old 10-16-2011, 03:09 PM

Oh - I just googled "old butterfly quilt" and looked at the images - some great ideas!!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by travelinggramma
Oh - I just googled "old butterfly quilt" and looked at the images - some great ideas!!
Great idea -- and great find!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:28 PM

They are so sweet!
Old 10-16-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fabaddict
yes you can hand wash them - just lay them to soak in a solution of 1 tablespoon bleach to 1 gallon of water - you will be surprised how nice they will come out. I got that recipe from a gal that restores old embroidered pieces - I used it on an old quilt block too, and it worked wonderfully
I'd think the bleach would be a little harsh on old fabric.
try Oxiclean in water & soak for a little while--not overnight.
just some gentle up & down swishes. won't these blocks be
grand with some 30's fabrics ?? congrats !
Old 10-16-2011, 06:29 PM

If I were to wash them I would use Orvus. You can buy it at a farm store. Some people who have show horses wash the horses tails with this. No chemicals, phosphates, etc.
I have used it on old quilts and very delicate items. It's an awesome product.

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
It's been a good Saturday all around. I was at our Habitat's ReStore on Friday buying a sewing machine, and got to talking about sewing with the lady cashing me out.. She told me her daughter runs a quilt shop next town over, which is about 40 minutes closer than the only other LQS I know about. I decided to go today.

It's a beautiful day, and my car just mysteriously pulled over in front of a yard sale. They had lots of old electronics, mall ninja swords, and antique dolls. (A box full of doll faces is creepy, btw.)

And a stack of appliqued butterfly quilt squares.

I hadn't actually intended on going junking, so I had to scrounge in my car for the $2 she was asking, but I found it, and they came home with me.

There are 19 total. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them--I'm open to suggestions--but I couldn't bear to leave them there.

The purple ones are unfinished-they're only basted down. The polka dot one is the only one with wing stripes, and some have long antenna, some short. They're 10~ inches; I haven't measured. The backing is a heavier-weight muslin. I assume the butterflies are feedsacking?

A few questions. Can I wash them? Not washing machine, but a sink full of...what? Some are dirty, and some are water stained. Can I iron them? They've clearly been stuffed somewhere with no respect for ages.

What would you do with them?

eta: Oh, and the LQS? MUCH friendlier than the other one I know about. I'll definitely be going back, probably for their Friday night sew-ins!
Old 10-16-2011, 06:29 PM

Sorry, posted two. I would be very careful of Oxiclean, I think it is harsh. I used it on a rug one time and ended up with worse results than the stain it started out with. All I'm saying is read the labels and be very careful. If there were a way you could test one block by using different products. Maybe you don't have the luxury of sacrificing one block.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:55 PM

I would have someone who dates quilts by the fabric look at the blocks. They could be feedsacks which are a looser weave. Some look like they could be. I would finish the other blocks the same as the finished ones and make a quilt, 3 blocks by 6 blocks, one left over. Or make another block with reproduction fabric or a feedsack and make it 4 x 5, with sashing strips of the repro or feedsack. You can sometimes find them on ebay, if you can afford them, but at $2 for what you have, that leaves some room to splurge! Be sure to show us your photos!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Very pretty!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:51 PM

Great butterfly blocks you found!
Old 10-16-2011, 08:34 PM

I would hesitate to wash before I put them in a quilt. They are so beautiful that even the water marks do not take away from them. You could probably soak them and gently smooth them out and let them air dry. If you sewed them first and then washed, if the stain did not come out, it would just add a bit of character. I love vintage and have a very similar quilt at home that my aunt made. It is sashed in a soft yellow. Congratulations on a wonderful find.