Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: LOOK WHAT I FOUND

  1. #1
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    UNTITLED poem

    My neighbor is washing her windows,
    And scrubbing and mopping her floors,
    But my house is all topsy and turvy,
    And dust is behind all the doors.

    My neighbor she keeps her house spotless,
    And she goes all day long on a trot;
    But no one would know in a fortnight
    If she swept today or not.

    The task I am at is enticing -
    My neighbor is worn to a rag -
    I am making a quilt out of pieces
    I saved in a pretty chintz bag.

    And the quilt, I know my descendants
    Will exhibit with credit to me -
    "So lovely - my grandmother made it
    Long ago in 1933."

    But will her grandchildren remember
    Her struggles with dirt and decay?
    They will not - they will wish she had made them
    The quilt I am making today.
    Cynicky Phin

    This will definitely be read often for inspiration, and it is so fitting that I came upon it today. Earlier this afternoon, my brother gave me his quilt that my little grandma made. She made us all one, but I used mine all the time and took pictures of my first baby with it. That one is a memory, but I have this one now...and when I took it out of the plastic zipped bag he was storing it in...ahh, it smelled just like gma's house. She passed at 98, twelve years ago, but to me she is still here and in my quilting, she lives on.


  2. #2
    camillacamilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Cookeville, TN
    Posts
    145
    Wonderful post, quiltncrazy. It made me smile. The poem is sweet, but what made me smile was the mental picture of you pulling that old quilt out of its bag, and it smelling like your grandmother's house. That is such a rare thing, to smell something that takes you back in time. It is great that you inherited her love of quilting. Maybe many years from now, someone will pull one of your quilts out, smell it, smile, and think of you.

  3. #3
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    I love that, quiltncrazy!

    I have a paisley print scarf of my grandma's, the one she wore every day, round her shoulders or over her head if it was raining (she died in 2004). I wish I'd kept it in a bag because her smell has all gone, although sometimes I think I can still get a faint whiff, but I think it's my imagination.

    K x

  4. #4
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    love that poem. I like to think I am making memories.

  5. #5
    Super Member Barbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    blink and you've missed it
    Posts
    2,612
    Thanks for the reminder- I forget that we don't need to clean all the time, certainly cuts into the quilting time.

    I have an apron of my Gram's. I can still picture her in it, bottom pinned up to hold a berry basket. Gosh, it's hard to believe she's gone 4 years. She was 106 when she passed away. She said she was tired.

    barb

  6. #6
    Power Poster SulaBug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in SANTA Land.
    Posts
    10,124
    Blog Entries
    1
    The poem is great. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us!! :D

  7. #7
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Thats a wonderful poem! Thank you for sharing it! Neither of my grandmothers quilted, however my grandfather's second wife does. She has given me 2 when I was much younger and she has encouraged my love for it now. I wish I could get a "whiff" of either of my grandmothers and really wish I could smell my Mom! They are all gone now. :(

  8. #8
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    camilla wrote:
    Wonderful post, quiltncrazy. It made me smile. The poem is sweet, but what made me smile was the mental picture of you pulling that old quilt out of its bag, and it smelling like your grandmother's house. That is such a rare thing, to smell something that takes you back in time. It is great that you inherited her love of quilting. Maybe many years from now, someone will pull one of your quilts out, smell it, smile, and think of you.

    aww, that's so nice of you camilla. If I am loved half as much as my little gma...she was a dear, and everyone that knew her felt that way.
    Everyone in the nursing home loved her and everyone that worked there did special things for her. One guy would sing to her. She asked for him one time while we were visiting and he sang to her for all of us.
    I hope I am remembered this way too. I hope we all are.

  9. #9
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    k3n wrote:
    I have a paisley print scarf of my grandma's, the one she wore every day, round her shoulders or over her head if it was raining (she died in 2004). I wish I'd kept it in a bag because her smell has all gone, although sometimes I think I can still get a faint whiff, but I think it's my imagination.


    k, it really is the little things like her scarf, that mean so much. I have a deep seated faith, that if you believe in something, that is your reality. :)

  10. #10
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    littlehud wrote:
    love that poem. I like to think I am making memories.

    littlehud, I couldn't agree more. :)

  11. #11
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    barb wrote:
    Thanks for the reminder- I forget that we don't need to clean all the time, certainly cuts into the quilting time.

    I have an apron of my Gram's. I can still picture her in it, bottom pinned up to hold a berry basket. Gosh, it's hard to believe she's gone 4 years. She was 106 when she passed away. She said she was tired.


    barb, I try to get on a roll with my housekeeping so I can hurry to my quilting, but all that does is make me tired. So, sometimes I am just gonna have a quilt-holiday, bc I am 21 and I can! lol! :)

  12. #12
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    Sulabug wrote:
    The poem is great. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us!! :D

    sulabug, I am so glad that Carrie Hall wrote it. It really reminds us, what do I want to be remembered for? Your nick is so cute, is it a real nickname? For 33 years I have been called Squirrelly. I can't imagine why? :D

  13. #13
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    patti wrote:
    Thats a wonderful poem! Thank you for sharing it! Neither of my grandmothers quilted, however my grandfather's second wife does. She has given me 2 when I was much younger and she has encouraged my love for it now. I wish I could get a "whiff" of either of my grandmothers and really wish I could smell my Mom! They are all gone now. :cry:

    well, patti, we didn't grow up together, but you all feel like family to me. Every day is a new page in our memory albums. your grandparents and your mom are just several pages back, but it's wonderful to know we can go there. By talking about them, ppl we love are right here with us, on this thread. Your mom raised a sweet daughter, patti. :D

  14. #14
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    loretta wrote:
    Loved the poem! thanks for sharing it!

    I got so excited when I read it. I knew everybody here would relate to it. Quilting is the best of everything that means family. :)

  15. #15
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    oops! :shock: Sulabug, guess you saw, Cynicky Phin wrote this poem, not Carrie Hall, but she could have. She loved quilts so much she dedicated years and years of her life to documenting quilt blocks, etc. so they would go on...I love being a part of all that.
    I wish we could see pics of their quilts. We are all making history...awesome! :)

  16. #16
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    k3n wrote:
    I have a paisley print scarf of my grandma's, the one she wore every day, round her shoulders or over her head if it was raining (she died in 2004). I wish I'd kept it in a bag because her smell has all gone, although sometimes I think I can still get a faint whiff, but I think it's my imagination.


    k, it really is the little things like her scarf, that mean so much. I have a deep seated faith, that if you believe in something, that is your reality. :)
    Thank you quiltncrazy! From my heart.

    K x

  17. #17
    Super Member vicki reno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,252
    I love that poem! I feel the same way--would much rather sew than worry about dirt. but then I see the dirt and feel guilty for swing!

  18. #18
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    patti wrote:
    Thats a wonderful poem! Thank you for sharing it! Neither of my grandmothers quilted, however my grandfather's second wife does. She has given me 2 when I was much younger and she has encouraged my love for it now. I wish I could get a "whiff" of either of my grandmothers and really wish I could smell my Mom! They are all gone now. :cry:

    well, patti, we didn't grow up together, but you all feel like family to me. Every day is a new page in our memory albums. your grandparents and your mom are just several pages back, but it's wonderful to know we can go there. By talking about them, ppl we love are right here with us, on this thread. Your mom raised a sweet daughter, patti. :D
    Thank you

  19. #19
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    camilla wrote:
    Wonderful post, quiltncrazy. It made me smile. The poem is sweet, but what made me smile was the mental picture of you pulling that old quilt out of its bag, and it smelling like your grandmother's house. That is such a rare thing, to smell something that takes you back in time. It is great that you inherited her love of quilting. Maybe many years from now, someone will pull one of your quilts out, smell it, smile, and think of you.

    aww, that's so nice of you camilla. If I am loved half as much as my little gma...she was a dear, and everyone that knew her felt that way.
    Everyone in the nursing home loved her and everyone that worked there did special things for her. One guy would sing to her. She asked for him one time while we were visiting and he sang to her for all of us.
    I hope I am remembered this way too. I hope we all are.
    My youngest daughter has a cameo from her grandma. She has been gone over fifteen years, yet the cameo stills smells like her perfume. Every time she takes it out it makes me think of her. We remember with all our senses.

  20. #20
    community benefactor Knot Sew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,723
    good post thank you :D

  21. #21
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    littlehud wrote:
    My youngest daughter has a cameo from her grandma. She has been gone over fifteen years, yet the cameo stills smells like her perfume. Every time she takes it out it makes me think of her. We remember with all our senses.


    I wholeheartedly agree that we remember with all our senses. There are many smells that make me think of individual ppl...like baby powder just takes me right back to when my kids were small and cuddly.

  22. #22
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    Ruth wrote:
    good post thank you :D

    yw, I love it, and will probably eventually do it in calligraphy for sewing room, but like everyone here, I also love to share. :D

  23. #23
    paldmal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1
    Ghee quiltncrazy, so sweet of you to share with us. Thanks

  24. #24
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,211
    Quote Originally Posted by paldmal
    Ghee quiltncrazy, so sweet of you to share with us. Thanks
    yw, paldmal. Like a beautiful quilt, you just want everybody to enjoy it. :wink:

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4
    HI,
    I'm new to the Quilting Forum, but love your poem. Do you know if there is anyway I can print it out? It is so great you have something from your Grandmother.
    Nancy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.