Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Look at what my DH bought for me at Harbor Freight!

Look at what my DH bought for me at Harbor Freight!

http://www.harborfreight.com/110-lb-...uck-55663.html

It's not heavy and it folds up nicely. I will be able to put my heavy machine (9" throat) on it and roll it to class now.

Wow - Harbor Freight for quilt supplies/tools!

So far we have bought these following items for my quilt studio (formerly kids playroom)

grips for my small and large rulers:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/bath-sa...dle-96086.html
    http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...sult?q=suction

Small, stubby screwdrivers which fit nice around the needle plate.

blades for my rotary cutter: http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of...des-97642.html

Magnetic tray for my pins: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...ray-90566.html

Haven't bought yet but thinking of buying some gardening gloves for quilting.

Oh, also saw a flashlight that you can wear on your head - be great for hand work while watching TV.

Oh, and where did I learn about all this great stuff? From other forum members! Ain't this forum great!

And don't forget pipe cleaners for cleaning those hard to reach places under the bobbin and needle plate. Lint really clings to them. Learned that from the tip section of Fons and Porter.

I have one of those!! They are great!!

I expect that your hubby likes Harbor Freight as well - mine says something about needing something and I am right there encouraging him to drive down to the store!! You never know what you will find - lol!!
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I got a really nice tweeser set I use for my serger and my long arm had it for over 10 years love me some harbor freight!

I, too, love Harbor Freight! There are no stores near where I live, so I order online. I wait until I have several items that I need and then I buy them, they have a set price for shipping. You can buy some of the same items that a quilt store has but at much cheaper prices! One item I purchased was the same as the one for sale at the LQS, but at about 75% off of the LQS price. Granted, it was a prettier color,but for a suction holder for rulers, I really don't care that it was orange rather than lilac. For 75% less than the LQS, I'll live with orange. What I think of, if Harbor Freight is making money at their prices, how much is the LQS making at their prices.

Thanks so much for the info regarding the grips for rulers. I was a few miles from Harbor Freight today, wish I had known about them earlier. Will definitely go there soon.
    Kitsy

I wish Harbor Freight was a bit closer, I do need to go there : )
    Amythyst

Do the carpet cutter blades work with the Fiskar handles?

My husband lives at Harbor Freight too. The deals are fantastic.
    He bought me the little brushes to clean my sewing machine there. Those are the ones that someone on
    the forum suggested and they work well.

Great ideas for Harbor Freight! I have one less than a mile away. Thank you for your post!

Years ago when I went to the Vermont quilt show, this is what all the quilters had. That was before the wheeled suitcases and machine luggage, but they worked. Plus, it's multi purpose!

I buy lots of items at Harbor freight, but the large grip holder I bought at Rite Aide drug store in the medical equipment department, the one I had bought at Joanns would not stay on . the smaller ones from harbor freight work great.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

These are great ideas, thanks for posting.

I found a tool in a pack that works great as stiletto. There were sevaral types of points on these tools and they had a plastic handle. I think I paid $1.99. They also had a set of dental-pick type tools that might work for a stiletto and also be used for other crafting.

Quote Originally Posted by Marge611 View Post
    Do the carpet cutter blades work with the Fiskar handles?

My husband lives at Harbor Freight too. The deals are fantastic.
    He bought me the little brushes to clean my sewing machine there. Those are the ones that someone on
    the forum suggested and they work well.
    That is my question too. I hear so much about these blades & I have mostly Fisker cutters. I was also wondering about the different sizes.

1.75 inch blade is 44.45mm, so it would work for a 45mm blade replacement. those blades only come with a circular center hold. If your cutter requires notches it would not work.

Power Poster
    My husband bought something similar - it came in very handy when we were moving from the house to an apt. plus since bringing in groceries can be a real chore at times - those bags can get very heavy - I suggested that he take a large plastic tote, fill the tote with groceries and now instead of a dozen trips back and forth on major shopping days, it's only one or two and he's not lifting heavy milk and soda bottles. Our son has even borrowed it on several occasions, although using the large plastic tote has been the best suggestion according to my DH. Who knew???

My sweetie takes me along because he knows I'll find "something" -- and I carry a checkbook!

Blog Entries
    There is a Harbor Freight about 30 minutes from us. I may have to talk DH into going.
    Sherri

When you go, don't forget your coupons! They always have 20% off and a free item in their ads. I have gotten free flashlights, tape measures, screwdriver sets, clamps, and more. Oh and I use the blades in my Fiskars cutter.
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

Power Poster
    I don't care for the blades...They seem to be dull...Thought of buying a sharpener and run them through that first...Be careful, the magnetic dish....I had one until I magnetized my Kindle Fire....They told me at Best Buy it was put too close to a magnet and it destroyed it.....I have also been told to keep magnets away from computerized machines....My dish is now in the garage.....

I have several Harbor Freight items in my sewing studio. I also purchase items in the sporting goods dept. at Walmart. I purchased a plastic fishing lure container at WM yesterday for the bobbins and accessories for my Crown Jewel LA machine. $4.46 in sporting goods. The same item in the sewing and quilting dept. was $9.46. They were made by the same company, just labeled differently. They must think quilters are stupid! lol

I've bought the telescoping magnet and the little brushes as well as the following for my Innova: grip clamps, magnetic bars. My DH bought a compressor for the cars vs paying a $1+ each time for filling up our tires - it works great.

We have one of those. Got it from the Sears Hardware a few years ago. They are very handy to use around the house, not just for sewing machines. We love that it folds up slim enough to fit in the narrow space between the freezer and the wall in in the laundry room, where it's always easy to get out.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

hubby's trips to Harbor Freight & Lowe's

My husband bought a wooden workbench over a year ago and only recently took it out of the box and set it up. I've been trying to talk him into buying me one for use as a cutting table for my sewing room. So far, no luck, but he did buy me a rolling tool bag which works out great for carrying my sewing machine & MY tools

You can use hand size pieces of the rubber shelf lining and you don't have to put on gloves. Hold the quilt down with the pieces under your hand and the quilt will move nicely. I found gloves to be too hot and bothersome.
    Sew Happy!