Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for advice from those experienced with "birthing" a quilt >

looking for advice from those experienced with "birthing" a quilt

looking for advice from those experienced with "birthing" a quilt

Old 12-03-2022, 04:45 PM

Default looking for advice from those experienced with "birthing" a quilt

Howdy quilters.
I just finished this "Knitted Star" quilt. Originally I was going to back it with a minkee-type backing, then bind as normal, but the more I look at this quilt the more I think I want to birth it and have no binding at all.
However, I've never birthed a quilt before, so am unsure of the best way to proceed. I was planning on quilting it on my longarm. Do I load it right sides together (upside down top, batting, then right-side-up backing), quilt all 4 outside edges, take it off, trim excess batting/backing, turn right side out, then load it back up again and quilt it? How have you guys done this?

Attached Thumbnails knitted-star.jpg  
Old 12-03-2022, 07:14 PM

I've done it for tied quilts, but not on a longarm. I like to put the batting on the bottom, then put the backing right side up, then put the quilt top right side down. Then I sew around the edge with my walking foot on my domestic machine. Leave about 12" to 14" opening. Turn it right side out. Then top-stitch about 1/4" to 1/2" away from the edge. Then you can quilt it or tie it.

You have to think about how you will handle the edges while machine quilting.

Another option is to quilt it normally on your longarm, then finish it with a facing, or by hand with a Knife-edge finish.
Old 12-03-2022, 10:46 PM

I think it is called a "knife edge" finish. I did google it and there are some youtubes and info out there.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

I did this once for a large quilt. There is a lot of excess when the top is smooth for machine quilting, it has to go somewhere. I gave up trying to quilt it and tied it. Do not stretch smooth to tie or you will have the excess to deal with. I tied the quilt 12 inches apart, then went and tied every 6 then every 3. I used knots for tying no loose ends. The quilt is still being used and is a favorite. It drapes like a blanket. I'm tying one for my daughter now.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:02 PM

Okay thanks everyone for your responses. I've decided to quilt it, then put a facing on it instead of birthing it.