Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • question for longarmers >
  • question for longarmers

• question for longarmers

Old 12-02-2022, 09:39 PM

Default question for longarmers

I am wondering do any of you use the thread that comes off the spools vertically instead of horizonal
    I tried using the vertical spool and the thread kept breaking I had it on the horizonal spool holder it is the only one I have. My machine is real old does anyone have ideas of hooking up a verical spool ?
    Old 12-03-2022, 05:25 AM
    mkc

My machine (HandiQuilter Amara) only has the vertical thread holder. A horizontal pin is an option.

Cones (vertical) and spools (horizontal) are wound differently, and yes, you need to have the thread come off the top if you're using a cone or you will get breakage (the thread will twist on itself).

Since the longarm head moves, you can't use a stationary thread stand. Have you found a Facebook group for your machine where you might ask about rigging up a vertical holder?
    Old 12-03-2022, 06:25 AM

There is a video explaining how thread should come off spool at https://www.superiorthreads.com/vide...-thread-holder
    Here are some links for various holders that can adapt for different spools
    https://www.moores-sew.com/shop/hori...ool-pin-clamp/
    https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Thre...ef_=ast_sto_dp
    https://www.amazon.com/Thread-Direct.../dp/B07B31VXTH
    https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Thre...ef_=ast_sto_dp

There was an older Pfaff 130 domestic sewing machine that evidently came with an adapter to change from a vertical spool pin to a horizontal and I thought someone bought some hardware to make something similar, but cannot find it now.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
    Old 12-03-2022, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3
    I am wondering do any of you use the thread that comes off the spools vertically instead of horizonal
    I tried using the vertical spool and the thread kept breaking I had it on the horizonal spool holder it is the only one I have. My machine is real old does anyone have ideas of hooking up a verical spool ?
    I am a bit confused by your set-up. Are you quilting on a frame where the machine is moving or are you sitting down and moving the fabric under the needle with your hands? Are you talking about cross wound thread or stacked thread? You said your machine only has a horizontal spool pin which would be for cross wound thread. All the on a frame long arm machines I am aware of have vertical cone holders for the large cones of threads (mine are cross wound) but have a long thread path that allows the twist to unwind before the needle. When using a cone of cross wound thread on a domestic, you can place the cone on a vertical thread stand set just behind the machine and then threaded the normal way and it usually will work. If a domestic machine only has a horizontal spool pin (for cross wound spools) and you want to use a stacked spool of thread (example coats and Clark dual duty), you may also need to use a thread stand behind the machine and thread the normal way. The longer thread path may allow the thread to unwind before the needle. I also installed an optional horizontal thread pin on my longarm (if I want to use smaller spool of of stacked thread). You can look and see if there is an option to attach a vertical spool pin to your machine It might help if you included a picture or at least the make and model of your machine and if you are using it just on a table or on a frame.
    Old 12-03-2022, 02:26 PM
    mkc

Originally Posted by sewingpup
    I am a bit confused by your set-up. Are you quilting on a frame where the machine is moving or are you sitting down and moving the fabric under the needle with your hands?

<snip>

It might help if you included a picture or at least the make and model of your machine and if you are using it just on a table or on a frame.
    A review of newbee3's post shows he/she has a NuStyle 228.

NuStyle 228

When it was made, it was a machine fabricated (stretched?) in-house by a quilting shop. It's not going to be a common manufacturer and they don't seem to be made any longer.

[NuStyle] Regretting longarm purchase
    Old 12-04-2022, 06:17 PM

I beleive I said this wrong. My machine has vertical feed on my longarm I want to use horizontal feed what can I do
    Old 12-04-2022, 07:28 PM

There is a gadget called The Thread Director Spool Pin adapter that says it can attach a horizontal spool pin to the existing vertical spool pin on a DSM. Never used it and not sure it would work on a longarm, which tend to move much faster.
    Old 12-05-2022, 05:10 AM

Knowing nothing about your particular machine, I will still jump in to this discussion. I am assuming that there have been other spools of thread that sewn without instance - if it is an issue with all threads, it might be a timing issue or an issue with a tension spring. I have an Avante and occasionally I will run across a thread spool that misbehaves. This is the list of things I do to try to correct it. If you have tried these just skip past my list lol. These are all assuming that there is no mechanical issue causing this and it has been sewing correctly on other projects. What type of thread are you using this time and how is it wound?

1, Rethread the machine, use a fresh bobbin. Make sure you have the correct size needle for the thread you have chosen, Check tension top and bottom. Check how tightly the quilt is pulled on the rollers. It should be flat but loose enough to to give a little when you push up and loose enough that you could grab it with your other hand.

2. Turn the needle to "5:30". I am assuming that your machine is using the round top industrial needle ( as opposed the the flat back domestic machine needle) Sometimes this helps - I have in seen other blogs and forums where folks even try 6:30. I recently used thread that I have used multiple times before (Glide Cleopatra Gold) and it keep breaking. I changed to a multidirectional ball point needle inserted at 5:30 and then realized that I had forgotten to change the upper tension (I was getting nesting on the back and lots of breaks).

3. After eliminating all the obvious culprits , my last thing on my list to try is either "Sewers Aid" or Silicon spray. Both do the same thing (lubricates the thread) A small drop of Sewers or a quick spritz of Silicon Spray on one side of the top spool is all you need. Before I had my Avante, I had a Voyager 17 which was very picky with what I sewed with, and this often helped.

Good luck - please let us know how you make out!!

Old 12-05-2022, 07:58 AM

Superior threads sells a thread holder that is a bit pricey but can be changed to hold a horizontal or a vertical thread and also so you can use a bobbin as the top thread. It is made for a domestic sit down machine. I do not know how much space your longarm has nor if there would be room to attach this to the support for your machine. There is a neat video on the site that shows the difference between cross wound and stack thread spools and cones.