Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for flannels

I want to do a rag quilt using 10 coordinated flannels (florals and plaids, large and small, light and dark) but I'm having trouble finding anything other than novelty and juvenile prints or solids. I've checked at my two local JoAnn's and have been looking on line. Does anyone have any ideas where I might find a better selection?

Wal-mart

I've tried my local WM with no luck. From what I've heard they're phasing out fabrics...

Quote Originally Posted by sewgull
    Wal-mart

Do you have any quilt shops in your area? The ones in my area always have a very nice selection of flannels.

Quote Originally Posted by DoxieMom
    I want to do a rag quilt using 10 coordinated flannels (florals and plaids, large and small, light and dark) but I'm having trouble finding anything other than novelty and juvenile prints or solids. I've checked at my two local JoAnn's and have been looking on line. Does anyone have any ideas where I might find a better selection?
    I have quite a collection of nice flannels, as I make baby blankets for gifts as well as pajama bottoms for the grands. What color range are you seeking? Masculine or feminine? I might have some to share. PM me if interested. I could send you some pics. Also our locally owned fabric shop has a wonder selection of flannels. Penny in Kalamazoo

do you have any discount stores that sell cheap baby receiving blankets, they are often made out of flannel, and jammies and shirts at the thrift stores can be a cheap source. I just put a bunch of fleece scraps in a bag for our annual garage sale, if you're interested pm me with the size scrap you would need and a little more detail on what you are looking for and I'll see if anything I have would meet your needs - my treat!

Do you have Hobby Lobby in your area if so try them.

I was going to day Hobby Lobby, too!

Fabric.com has quite a bit of flannel. Some is in collections. I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for, but worth a look. I recentlly bought a lot of assorted solids for some memory quilts I'm working on.

flannelworld.com has some nice flannels.

I don't know particularly what kind of flannels you are looking for, but since fabric shops are so hard to come by, you might look at yard sales and thrift shops for flannel shirts or pajamas.

I've been buying flannel shirts & pj bottoms at yard sales to build up a stash for a quilt for one or more of my guys (hubby, 5 sons, SIL, DGS and lots of friends with sons/grandsons). Just got started and have found several nice ones so far.

Fabricshack.com has a lot of high quality flannels. Use their search to see if they have what you want.

Blog Entries
    fabric.com has a great selection of flannels and homespuns and with only a $35 order, free shipping ;)

This might be out of your comfort zone, but here goes.

There's a company here in California called Your California Fabric connection, 1-800-479-7906, and they sell scrap bags of quilting fabric. It used to be fairly close to me and I was able to go there and hand pick what I want, so I know that the quality is good --it's brands like RJR, Thimbleblerries, etc. The company moved, however, then almost went out of business, and then found new ownership.

They do carry flannels, so it might be an option for you to buy some. The recent postcard I got says 4 lbs for $43 (free shipping) and 9 lbs for $85, but I don't know if that's the price for flannels. You could call and chat with them, if you don't mind buying the fabric sight unseen.

Laurie

Have you tried e.quilter.com?

We have a Wal Mart store about 40 mi from me that still has a wonderful fabric department. They have some nice flannels. I even got some for $1.50 a yard the other day. I was so surprised at the quality of it. It was a nice weight. Will probably have to get more. Hope they still have it. I use it as backing on lap quilts for nursing homes and I'm making some "nap quilts" for my daughter who is starting a day care.

I remember when I was in Lancaster PA there was a shop called the Fabric Shack who did an excellent selection in flannels - they are also online - I bought a load home with me as they are hard to get in the UK

Blog Entries
    Try: http://www.quiltshops.com/

Just put in whatever color way you want and the word "flannel" and it will send you to lots of sites. You might also want to add "sale" to the description.

Thank you all for some excellent suggestions! I'm in the process of checking them all out. I've really fallen in love with the idea of doing rag quilts. One will be denim with plaid and solid flannels and the other will be pink/burgundy/greens/cream florals and plaids.

Blog Entries
    Betsys Quilts in Antlers,Ok has extremely nice quilting flannel at a reasonable price, StitchinHeaven inQuitman Tx has it but pretty expensive,at least on my budget lol

Do you have a JoAnn's ? They have "Quilters Flannel" that isn't juvenile and nicer quality than the "Snuggle" that is mostly juvenile/baby.

Check out Thousands of Bolts.com. They often have a lot and their prices are great.

Maywood Studios makes a line of flannels called "Woolies". It's the best flannel I've ever seen and each season there is a new set of colors/designs. They have plaids, florals, herringbone, tweed, etc. They're gorgeous! Look for them at quilt shops and online as well.

Inweave fabric in Hawarden, Iowa has an online store check there. I know that they have a lot of flannel. That's where I shop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast