Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for Good Books >

Looking for Good Books

Looking for Good Books

Old 11-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

I have found that the Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day books have very clear instructions. Also you can go online to her Quilt in a Day website and watch her tutorials, which I have found to be just as informative and easy to follow.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:22 AM

Ditto on using the BH&G Complete Guide to Quilting. The explanations and photos are great. You should be able to get one on Amazon or Books halfdot.com. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:57 AM

I was on Amazon.com looking for a couple of quilting books and was amazed how many were being used books were there under a dollar. Yes, you still have to pay for shipping but it was still well under half of a book from a quilt or book store and they tell you if they are written in or highlighted. I got 2 books for less than one book and they were delivered to my house.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:46 PM

I have learned so much just watching Missouri Quilt Co. U-tubes, among others. And of course all the information shared on this board. You just have to sit and watch, just great. Look up U-tube sewing and/or quilting. Have fun!
Old 11-23-2012, 03:49 PM

All of the Quilt In A Day Books by Eleanor Burns are great for beginners. She has a knack for explaining things in easy to understand words. And she doesn't use words like 'always' or 'never!'
Old 11-23-2012, 04:52 PM

I highly recommend this one:

[h=3]Patchwork Minus the Mathwork: A Quilter's Guide to Planning and Buying Fabrics without a Degree in Mathmatics! by Jeanne Stauffer (Nov 20, 2009)[/h]
I use it all the time to figure out measurements and how much fabric to buy.

I also use this great reference book to carry in my travel case. It comes in so handy at workshops and retreats:

[h=3]All-In-One Quilter's Reference Tool Easy-To-Follow Charts, Tables and Illustrations, Yardage Requirements, Cutting Instructions, Setting Secrets, Choosing ... Piecing Techniques, Number Conversions by Harriet Hargrave, Sharyn Craig, Alex Anderson and Liz Aneloski (Oct 1, 2004)[/h]
Old 11-23-2012, 06:37 PM

Before you buy any books check out the local library but also check out the internet. There is so much information to be found for free. Free patterns galore - more than you could ever make. There are free lessons on U Tube and so many tutorials here on QB. Also lots of willing helpers which I'm sure you'll have noticed if you've been reading the posts.
Look around first before you spend a lot on books, rulers, etc and save your money for fabric. Ask me how I know this. Google Quilting for Beginners as well as Sewing for beginners.
Welcome to the board and remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. If you don't know just ask.
Happy Quilting.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:46 PM

I have a lot of quilting books that I've bought but the library has a lot of quilting books too and you don't have to spend money on them until you've seen a few and decided what and/or who you like.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:27 PM

Connecting Threads always has great sales on books. In fact, they are having a sale now. I have bought the Quilter's Academy books. I still need to get 2 and 4.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:42 PM

Yes, I have absolutely been reading all of your posts, everyone. I hope that some others might benefit from this thread as well--looks like there have been a lot of readers.