Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Good Books

Looking for Good Books

I am looking for good resources for a new sewer and quilter. I'm not sure where to start at Amazon! Please let me know if you have any recommendations.
    Karen

I learned how to quilt using Alex Anderson's Start Quilting book. I made the rail fence quilt. The other book I use, and love because it has big, clear pictures was Bits and Pieces Quilt by Anne Dease. I'm into simple so I bought Ursula Reikes Quilts for Baby books (I think there are 3 in all). Any design can be made with non baby fabrics for a whole different look and her instructions and pictures are the best. I'm a visual learner so need those pictures!

As for sewing, I would suggest three things. You read your machine manual cover to cover and then go back and do all the things it shows you so you feel comfortable with your machine. Then take a beginning sewing class. Nothing beats that hands on experience and being with other new sewers. If that is not an option, you could try some of the You Tube tutorials. As for books, I'm lost as to what to recommend. I teach sewing to high school kids and have gotten good information from the books geared to children, they just offer a simpler way to explain things and the projects are useful like pillow cases and removable pillow covers and tote bags.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Ellenor(?) Burns Quilt in a Day gives basic and then some, a quilt sampler teaches all kinds of blocks with cutting techniques and sewing. Amazon is a good place to get new and used books. The quilting magazines all have some basic instructions and some beginner quilt patterns. Good luck and enjoy yourself. Also this board has wonderful Ladies with lots of experience that love to help each other.

For quilting you can't beat the Better Homes & Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting - http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide...+quilting+book

I still refer back to it every once in a while, and it takes you through the entire process of making a quilt.

Blog Entries
    I have Quilting 101 - A Beginners Guide. I like that book a lot. Here a link to the amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/Quilting-101-b...s=How+to+Quilt

For general sewing, Simplicity,, Martha Stewart, and Better Homes and Gardens have beginner sewing books out. You can also check out Youtube videos which are wonderful. Crafty Gemini on Youtube will teach you how to insert a zipper and how to make french seams. You can learn a lot by making the quick projects that are done in a 10 minute tutorial. Lots of wonderful resources on the internet.

In addition to the above , I recommend going to the "Sewing with Nancy" site lots of tutorials for more than just quilting.
    Here is a link to the past 58 episodes. These are all free .. full episodes..
    http://video.wpt2.org/program/sewing-nancy/
    Last edited by Lori S; 11-21-2012 at 10:55 AM.

If you have a Half-Off Books store near you, I recommend going there. You can find all kinds of these books for really cheap.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

check out Sewing for Dummys and Quilting for Dummys. I have the Q. for dummys and it is good. You might be able to get them at a half price store, or Abebooks.com or amazon or ebay.

Blog Entries
    There are so many utubes that will help you. You would be amazed on how quickly you will learn watching the videos

Quote Originally Posted by schnurke View Post
    I am looking for good resources for a new sewer and quilter. I'm not sure where to start at Amazon! Please let me know if you have any recommendations.

1001 Patchwork Designs by Maggie Malone. You'll find some copies for next to nothing at Amazon.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I bought a lot of books from Hamilton books...(www.hamiltonbooks.com) Browse by subject and quilting falls under "needlecrafts" A lot of these books are under $5 or $10 .

Not that you really need any more suggestions, but the two I turn to again and again are Quilter's Complete Guide by Fons and Porter and All About Quilting from A to Z from C & T Publishing. I also recommend Elanor Burns because her instructions are always very clear and easy to follow.
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Quilters Complete Guide by Fons and Porter is fantastic. Has everything for a beginner quilter. I believe its by Oxmoor House.

I have always loved the "dummies" book. I purchaed "Quilting for Dummies" and it a good basic reference book

Sally Collins "Mastering Precision Piecing". I know the title is "mastering" ... but as far as I'm concerned I wish I had learned her lessons from the very beginning. I call it the "primer". She also has a companion DVD.

For general and other quilting stuff ... I also recommend Quilting for Dummies.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    The beginner quilters that come to our guild to learn to cut and piece a top, we always loan them ANITA GROSSMAN SOLOMON's book Rotary Cutting Revolution. The book has simple shortcuts to making the hardest blocks super easy. No one gets bored making the blocks or does tedious sewing and squaring up. Check out her site: She has a free block pattern: http://makeitsimpler.blogspot.com/
    Got fabric?

I also love Quilter's Complete Guide by Fons and Porter...and another good book is Quilts, Quilts, Quilts by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes.

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
    For quilting you can't beat the Better Homes & Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting - http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide...+quilting+book

I still refer back to it every once in a while, and it takes you through the entire process of making a quilt.
    I concur, its the best overall general quilt book with lots of knowledge
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    Check out your public library!!! That way you can preview the book and be sure it is something you will use. I can't tell you how much money I have wasted on books with pretty covers! Harriet Hargrave has a learning to quilt series starts with Freshman Year - they aren't necessarily easy but you sure will be well grounded!!
    Cherylsea

Try Half Price Book. They have books on quilting and sewing in general. Another place might be Tuesday Morning.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

And ...I would recommend "Quilters Academy" Vol 1-Freshman Year by Harriet & Carrie Hargrave-can be found on Ebay or Amazon at good prices: Also "The Quilters Ultimate VISUAL GUIDE" is is a Rodal Quilt Book- great tips and suggestions. Also can be found on Ebay or Amazon- last one I got I paid $4.00.

Eleanor Burns

Quote Originally Posted by OKLAHOMA PEACH View Post
    Ellenor(?) Burns Quilt in a Day gives basic and then some, a quilt sampler teaches all kinds of blocks with cutting techniques and sewing. Amazon is a good place to get new and used books. The quilting magazines all have some basic instructions and some beginner quilt patterns. Good luck and enjoy yourself. Also this board has wonderful Ladies with lots of experience that love to help each other.
    I would recommend taking a quilt class for beginners if you can OR starting with one of Eleanor Burns' Quilt in a Day books. Trip Around the World would probably be easiest. She is known for her great illustrations to take you step-by-step....and if you get lost somewhere, there are several thousand of us waiting here for your questions! Good Luck!
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

Blog Entries
    I agree with Ellenor Burns books.....you can also go to goodwillbooks.com, I have found quilting books there for hardly nothing. Also another place to go is the find.com

Ditto on BH&G Complete Guide to quilting. When I first was learning to quilt, I asked a long-time-quilter-friend what book I should buy for a "reference" book........she suggested it and glad she did.

Quote Originally Posted by schnurke View Post
    Missouri Star Quilt Company videos on U-Tube, Quilt in a Day books/videos, Alex Anderson's books and Quilting magazines
    are all great starting places. If you have a quilting Guild close by, join it and have fun learning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast