Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for a good place for supplies >

Looking for a good place for supplies

Looking for a good place for supplies

Old 04-05-2010, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by butterflywing
mom-6 wrote
Usually in order to purchase wholesale from a vendor you have to have a 'for resale' tax certificate/tax id #, although I have heard of some allowing anyone who is purchasing in volume(say multiple whole bolts of fabric) to do so at the wholesale price.

I know about 20-25 years ago I purchased the fabric for square dance skirts for a whole club that wanted identical skirts direct from the manufacturer at a price lower than we could get it from the local retailer since it was several bolts of fabric. Whether that was true wholesale pricing or just a volume discount, it was a cheaper price.

ah! that's tricky business.

in most states, you can get a license easily, usually free. you use that number when you're ordering and that entitles you to a wholesalers discount. you already know that part.

but if you get called on it by the IRS, you have to be able to show a set of books, meaning that you must be able to prove in ink and with receipts, that you bought whatever for a business and for-profit purposes (since you're not a non-profit organization).
AND, since you're now a business, you have to file a tax return, quarterly, showing all that. you used to be able to go for three years without making a profit, as many starting businesses do. but you still have to file, showing that. after those years were up, you had to show a profit. what the rules are now, i don't know. i have a number from years ago when i sewed and sold, and to tell the truth, it's such a pain trying to prove what i'm using it for and filing four times a year that i haven't used it in over twenty-five years. i wonder if it's still good or if they expire?
In CA you only have to file for a business resale license number if you are going to sell what you buy wholesale, and then it's only for the sales taxes. The wholesaler doesn't have to charge sales tax to the businesses, because it is assumed that the retailer will collect sales tax. They would go after the wholesale vendor who sells it, looking for the sales tax certificates for the retailers they sell to. If they don't have business sales tax certificates for them, then they have to pay the sales taxes. Other than that, they don't care what price people sell to each other for. They aren't the profit police! :-)
in new york and new jersey, the party who buys wholesale has to show that the goods are being resold OR being used for something that will be sold. quilters are in the second category. they have to show that they buy wholesale for the purpose of making quilts to be sold and that they really sell them, and that they charge tax on them. they have to keep receipts on what they buy and sell in real tax books and file quarterly. they must pay taxes on what they earn (what they charge) and pay to the government the taxes they collect. they can't keep buying wholesale and saying to the IRS that they're losing money. is that what you mean? is it the same in california?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:45 PM

We have a Pat Catan's. I guess it's like Michaels or something. I bought my cutting mat in their art dept. for HALF what the same mat (the large size) cost on sale at JoAnn's. I love it and it's still going strong. Oh, and it's the same brand. I'm always looking for quilting supplies in places other than JoAnn's and LQS's. You'd be surprised at how much cheaper you can find things.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:23 AM

Has anyone tried ConnectingTheads.com?
I'm from SW Washington and they used to have an outlet here, but they still have mail catalog and internet, free shipping over $50. Excellent prices. Everything except instant gratification!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Internet! I bought 5 pk rotary cutter blades on E-bay for under $8.00. Came in a few days. Other bargains everywhere. Just "google" for what you want. Really disappointed last trip to Joanns; They have now become and "and Crafts" store. The quilting fabric was shoddy, loose weave and practically see-through! No famous fabric lines that I saw. So disappointing!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Part-time quilter
Has anyone tried ConnectingTheads.com?
I'm from SW Washington and they used to have an outlet here, but they still have mail catalog and internet, free shipping over $50. Excellent prices. Everything except instant gratification!
I LOVE Connecting Threads!! They have very reasonable prices and their sales are even better. They ship fast and accurately!! I would recommend them to anyone! :D