Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for homegrown way to soften up this fabric >

looking for homegrown way to soften up this fabric

looking for homegrown way to soften up this fabric

Old 12-24-2019, 09:54 AM

Default looking for homegrown way to soften up this fabric

I bought some backing fabric that seems a little too stiff/scratchy to me. I've put it thru the wash ... I don't ever use fabric softeners or anything... but it's still kind of rough. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can soften it up? I saw some "Recipes" online for fabric softeners using vinegar, baking soda ... and even hair conditioner! Have you ever tried these solutions?
Old 12-24-2019, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

I bought some Disney character print fabric and it was stiff. It never did get soft even when quilted and laundered many times. My granddaughter didn't seem to mind because was purple princess fabric. She finally outgrew the quilt and it was still stiff.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

Vinegar is a natural softener, refresher. If it is a course weave it may not get as soft as a finer weave fabric though
Old 12-26-2019, 05:34 AM

I have used hair Conditioner on clothes but not on this type of fabric. Are you going ahead and using the fabric?
Old 12-26-2019, 08:17 AM

I've used homemade fabric softener made with hair conditioner and didn't find the results to be any different (no better, no worse) than commercially available fabric softeners. However, since you don't use the commercial products, it can't hurt to try the homemade ones, can it? You might also try wool dryer balls.

If the fabric doesn't soften up after 3-4 washings, it's not likely to ever soften up. Is it 100% cotton?
Old 12-26-2019, 10:19 AM

I have a backing like that but it seems to be softening as I handle it - FMQ a king size quilt on a domestic machine means a lot of handling. One of my pillowcases had a fabric like that for the cuff. I'm glad my great granddaughter won't be sleeping on that part. I don't think that one will soften.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:39 PM

I only use baking soda in the wash (1 box) in the rinse water-2nd and Final rinse for multiple rinse cycles washing machines . I also use Arm & Hammer Detergent for Sensitive Skin for washing clothes to not only clean, but soften fabrics & my clothes and quilts. For very hard water or very soiled clothing items, I add 20 Mule Team Borax to the wash cycle https://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/. My parents and grandparents have been using these products since the early 20th century as I still do. I know that many modern quilters might sneer at these products, but they really do work wonders!

You will find it at most grocers. If not, look for them online like most everything else.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:22 PM

I have a quilt that I just finished that has a stiff backing. Washing helped some but not much. Perhaps I will try one of these ideas on it. Right now it’s too stiff to comfortably sleep under so I’m still sleeping with my thrift store raggedy old hand quilted wedding ring one.