Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for ideas on a storage cart/sheving? >

Looking for ideas on a storage cart/sheving?

Looking for ideas on a storage cart/sheving?

Old 04-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
Originally Posted by LindaR
check out Ikea...boy you'll be overwhelmed...
I totally forgot about Ikea. We have one about 45 min away. Maybe we will make a trip this weekend! Thanks for the tip
Shop around online first ... I find the place just too much and often miss things, unless I know specifically what I am looking for. The unit I was mentioning as well as my cutting table were in the office furniture section.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I think I can rearrange the livingroom to make room for some sort of cart or something to house all of my essentials and for everything I need for my current project. I saw one at Joann's tonight for 129.00. Looked ok. Maybe not exactly what I was looking for. But I thought that you all might have some good ideas as to where to look for some sort of storage thing. I don't want to spend anymore than 200! Thanks :)
I bought a cart very similar to the one at JoAnn's at Sam's Club for $30. Love it, and it would work very well for storage of cutter, miscellaneous items, and patterns. In my opinion it would not be great for fabric storage.

What I like for fabric storage are boxes I found at WalMart. The ones I like have blue flip-up squarish handles to hold the cover on, and are see-thru plastic (instead of translucent, which makes it harder to see what is inside). These boxes come in many different sizes. I would recommend avoiding the biggest one for fabric because it will become too heavy. My favorites are the two middle sizes; the smaller one for UFOs and the slightly deeper one for groupings of fabric colors. Both of these, even though the same size, are $4 each. A nice feature is that all of the sizes stack on top of each other, so stacks are very stable.

Edit: I saw that storage table at Ikea and it would be wonderful, but you have to have the space for it. If you are looking, it was in the kitchen area -- designed as a center island workspace with lots of storage drawers.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
I think I can rearrange the livingroom to make room for some sort of cart or something to house all of my essentials and for everything I need for my current project. I saw one at Joann's tonight for 129.00. Looked ok. Maybe not exactly what I was looking for. But I thought that you all might have some good ideas as to where to look for some sort of storage thing. I don't want to spend anymore than 200! Thanks :)
I bought a cart very similar to the one at JoAnn's at Sam's Club for $30. Love it, and it would work very well for storage of cutter, miscellaneous items, and patterns. In my opinion it would not be great for fabric storage.

What I like for fabric storage are boxes I found at WalMart. The ones I like have blue flip-up squarish handles to hold the cover on, and are see-thru plastic (instead of translucent, which makes it harder to see what is inside). These boxes come in many different sizes. I would recommend avoiding the biggest one for fabric because it will become too heavy. My favorites are the two middle sizes; the smaller one for UFOs and the slightly deeper one for groupings of fabric colors. Both of these, even though the same size, are $4 each. A nice feature is that all of the sizes stack on top of each other, so stacks are very stable.

Edit: I saw that storage table at Ikea and it would be wonderful, but you have to have the space for it. If you are looking, it was in the kitchen area -- designed as a center island workspace with lots of storage drawers.
The one I was thinking of, was cube like .. about table height maybe a little shorter, and only about 24" square. I don't think it'd be as large as 30"
Old 04-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

My cart is cube-like but a little taller than table height. It has 10 drawers. It measures about 15" x 15". The size is not 30"; the *cost* was $30.

I found the following rolling carts on Sam's Club online:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/search/...questid=134373

If you scroll down, the one I have is similar to the "Hopper" cart with 10 drawers, except mine was plain translucent drawers. I don't know why it's $66 online; I'm pretty sure mine was $30.

Anyway, I think that storage carts and storage supplies cost a *lot* more at places like JoAnn's than they do elsewhere. More money doesn't necessarily mean a better product.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
My cart is cube-like but a little taller than table height. It has 10 drawers. It measures about 15" x 15". The size is not 30"; the *cost* was $30.

I found the following rolling carts on Sam's Club online:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/search/...questid=134373

If you scroll down, the one I have is similar to the "Hopper" cart with 10 drawers, except mine was plain translucent drawers. I don't know why it's $66 online; I'm pretty sure mine was $30.

Anyway, I think that storage carts and storage supplies cost a *lot* more at places like JoAnn's than they do elsewhere. More money doesn't necessarily mean a better product.
I have been looking around online and I found one really close to this one except it has like 12 drawers. 6 on each side. And the bottom two are bigger. I really like both of them
Old 04-15-2011, 04:20 PM

This cart is well priced and has good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Trinity-THL-UC...reative=392969

You'd have to get bins to organize your things, but I'd prefer than over those flimsy plastic drawers any day. And since it rolls, you could roll it somewhere concealed when not in use :)
Old 04-15-2011, 04:29 PM

An idea is that getting a wreath hook and hanging it on your door for your cutting mat. I bought one at Walmart and hung both my cutting mats on it so it doesn't take up space or get warped.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:26 PM

I love Ikea. I stacked the Antonius system in my closet and put one under my Ikea table where my embroidery machine lives. I have a rolling folding kitchen cart that I use as my cutting table. My rulers have special places: small bolt & nuts to hold some on one side of the cutting table; two belt holders that hang on the side of a cheap stacking bookcase in my studio; and in one of the Antonius baskets.

My 17" x 23" rotary mats fit in my cutting station. My larger maps live under my bed with my roll of batting. Of course my bed is on risers to accommodate the batting. My Alto's QuiltCut 2 lives under my TV armoir in the living room under a black rip stop nylon cover.

I love to repurpose things.

Enjoy you journey.

ali