Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
looking for living room ideas >

looking for living room ideas

looking for living room ideas

Old 09-11-2011, 06:30 PM

Hello and welcome from Tennessee. I am in the process of making new curtains for the family room. This time I went with bright and bold colors. Will be using the grommets for the heading and not lining since I have bamboo blinds over the windows. Good luck with your remodel.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:43 PM

A big welcome form the eastern part of Texas.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
Hi Rubidoux and Welcome to the QB!

How exciting for you! A living room redo! :D
HGTV (Home & Garden Television) has a website chock full of inspiration and "how to" advice.

My advice would be to find one or some things you love and let the rest of the room be inspired by that. And to not be afraid to try color in your painting!
I can't tell you how much I want to use some color on the walls! I'd love to do off white or a light, light tan with one robins egg blue wall. I'd be in heaven! But my husband is dead set against anything but pure white. :shock: We're trying to get our house looking better and more comfortable on a very tight budget and I think a bit of color would be a cheap way to add a lot of style. Gah!

Originally Posted by Granna of 5
Hello and welcome from Tennessee. I am in the process of making new curtains for the family room. This time I went with bright and bold colors. Will be using the grommets for the heading and not lining since I have bamboo blinds over the windows. Good luck with your remodel.
I think I'll be going with bright and bold, too! The couches are brown leather (fabric couches go down hill fast with 2 dogs and 2 little boys) and I'm thinking my main fabric will be a natural colored linen and then I'll use raspberry, bright teal, and mustard as my main colors with a little bit of other stuff (purple, tan, pinks). This -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/maggiemakes/3980611163/in/faves-14054236@N02/ -- is the closest I can find to the colors I'm aiming for, but I'd like more mustard and maybe some buttery yellows, too.

My first real quilt may not be done for many years, lol, but I started it thinking it would be a living room throw. Here's a pic from way back in the beginning (although I've hardly progressed): http://www.flickr.com/photos/1405423...7626231318300/ It looks a lot brighter now. When i took that pic I had around 30 different fabrics, but now I've got more like 70 and there's a lot of bright aqua and other brights. It's funny to see how gloomy it looks there! I need to take pics of the pieces I've actually pieced.

Btw, I can hardly believe the pace this board moves at! Wow! :mrgreen:
Old 09-12-2011, 12:43 AM

Hi and welcome from Victoria,Australia.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:14 AM

I agree with the others who said to pick a pattern for a place to start. Doesn't matter where you find the pattern, mine came from a border used in the dining room. The dining room got one color drawn from that with the ceiling a lighter form of that shade, and the adjourning living got the reverse light ceiling color on the walls. Couldn't convince my husband that the ceiling in the lr didn't have to be white. So the ceiling and the ceiling medallion are flat white. All the old fashioned wide woodwork and moldings are semigloss white. Good luck, don't worry so much about paint, it can always be repainted in a year or so.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:24 AM

Welcome from WI! What fun to redo your living room. I would suggest you take one piece of something around your home that you love and let the creative process begin. Good Luck and again, welcome to our board.