Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking at a Longarm tonight...questions.... >

Looking at a Longarm tonight...questions....

Looking at a Longarm tonight...questions....

Old 07-12-2016, 09:16 AM

Default Looking at a Longarm tonight...questions....

Hi all,

I am going with a gf to look at a Pfaff 18.8 Grandquilter longarm tonight. This is a used unit, 5 yrs old with the Qbot (version 2 not 3), with an Inspira Frame.

I've played with Handiquilters and Gammamills thus far.

Any particular questions you think I should ask since it is a used unit?
Thanks much
Chris
Old 07-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Where (locally) can you get the machine professionally serviced would be one I would ask.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Where (locally) can you get the machine professionally serviced would be one I would ask.
I would also ask where you can learn to use this machine such as classes.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:13 PM

I'd ask to see it in use or to use it.

Dina
Old 07-12-2016, 04:15 PM

Price within your limits & financing. If you realistically think you will quilting for paying customers then you can raise your price limits. If you aren't sure, don't.

What type of support does the company have. Example: one of my home local dealers want me to take the machine to them for service, however if it is a problem with the wiring or connections to the trolley/carriage then they wouldn't know. To come to someone's home is very expensive! Also they seem to have problems keeping techs.

Do you want a computerized system or not. Can you affordably add it on later?

Many machines now have laser lights for pantographs.

What size will fit in you studio/home?

Personally I didn't like the Qbot.

I have a HQ Avante now and love it even without a computerized portion. Miss the HQ16 but this is better for me for now. I have excellent service from a HQ service person not affiliated with any store [the store closed end of January & HQ wants him to still cover the HQ's.] I have gotten great telephone assistance from HQ, enjoy the educational webinars/videos.

Enjoy the journey and take your time.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:07 PM
Gay

I believe this is a good machine though I've never used one - a relative sells Pfaff machines. I have the QBot on a Tin Lizzie, and though it's nowhere near the top of the robot range I love it as the designs are sewn out so accurately. I have so much trouble manually with circles and arcs, they always end up with corners.

Get the owner to give you a good demo of the machine working, try it yourself, and ensure you have manuals. Also keep in mind you will want software to create your own designs and/or put them on the card for the QBot. I use 4D Quilt Design Creator from Pfaff. You can teach yourself, I did.

As others have said, think of the access to a good technician. My dealer is an hours drive away, and they won't come to me - neither will the local techs.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:24 AM

Did you go check it out yet? Did the owner show you how it works, etc.? Is it a 45lb model with controls on both handles?

Ask for the model number off the side of the mach...jot it down, email The TL company and see if they can give you it's age. They may or may not have record of the servicing, since Pfaff does that (I think).

I have a TL18LS on a wood frame (2009 model) & have added a Qbot (upgraded to V3) & I love my machine. I do most of my own troubleshooting and maintenance on my machine.

I have a quilting business, and my machine is rarely idle. They are a good basic machine. I will say you must be willing to do some upkeep and maintenance on the machine (as with any industrial machine).

My machine just keeps on keepin' on.

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
Hi all,

I am going with a gf to look at a Pfaff 18.8 Grandquilter longarm tonight. This is a used unit, 5 yrs old with the Qbot (version 2 not 3), with an Inspira Frame.

I've played with Handiquilters and Gammamills thus far.

Any particular questions you think I should ask since it is a used unit?
Thanks much
Chris
Old 07-16-2016, 08:45 PM

Find out before you see this machine what kind of maintenance is required (where and how often to oil it). Then when you go, ask the owner that same question (as if you don't already know) to see if she knows (and has been doing) the required maintenance. Industrial machines can run forever if oiled regularly. Failure to oil adequately and often enough causes wear and tear.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:29 AM

Ok, did you buy the longarm? I hope you asked all the right questions.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:05 PM

I did! I will be picking it up next week. She was very gracious and walked me through a LOT of programs and options on her machine. She showed me other things to look for, and how they worked on that one compared to even her new one, so it was very nice. No pressure.

I cannot WAIT to get my new baby home!!