Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for a machine for travelling >

Looking for a machine for travelling

Looking for a machine for travelling

Old 08-24-2015, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnmom View Post
My husband and I went yo visit my daughter that lives in the mountains. There is a darling quilt shop in the small town. We are planning to visit on a regular basis. The mountains were so peaceful. I an considering on purchasing a machine only for travel purposes. I have a Bernina at home as that is what my local shop sells. The shop in the mountains sells Janome. The offer great classes. I don't know if I should go with a Vernon's because that's what I'm used to, a Janome because that's. Whet the shop in the mountains sells or something entirely different since it wont be my primary machine. I would like to keep the cost at a minimum also.
I have 4 Janome's and wouldn't use anything else. They are extremely reliable, user friendly, and are work horses. I have 2 Jem Gold's, one non computerized and the other one computerized. They only weigh 11 lbs and are great for traveling, taking to a class, etc. I highly recommend you consider a Jem Gold. The price is good, and I just can't say enough about the machine. Have never had a problem of any kind with any of my Janome's.
Marcia in Crowley
Old 08-24-2015, 09:03 AM

I am a Bernina person, but if I was travelling to a particular place regularly and the only store in the area sold Janome's, I'd probably go ahead and purchase one. That said, I love my Featherweights and would probably leave one of them there, too. The FW is a workhorse, lightweight, and very uncomplicated to use and to maintain.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:43 AM

If we are traveling, I bring one of my two featherweights with me. We have a weekend place about 300 miles from our house and I bought a Janome from Sew Direct. It has about 20 decorative stiches. It was right about $300 with no shipping. I am more than pleased with it. I set up a sewing room at our weekend place and stocked with all my duplicate items. The only thing I bought was the Janome and a 8 l/2 x 24" ruler. Everything else came from my home sewing room. When we go, I precut several quilts that I might work on while there (It gives me a choice to work on) What I don't finish I bring home and I try to leave 2 or 3 precut projects at the weekend place.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:06 AM

Rather than purchasing a "travel" machine, how about just buying one you like and keeping it at your daughters?? Dragging any machine around may make complications and since you will be staying at the same place, makes sense to me???
Old 08-24-2015, 10:25 AM

I have a Pfaff Passport 2.0, its about $500-600, comes with the IDT(built in full time walking foot). It has lots of stitches and weighs about 13 pounds. Its my travel machine, goes with me to quilt sew days.
Sharon
Old 08-24-2015, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnmom View Post
My husband and I went yo visit my daughter that lives in the mountains. There is a darling quilt shop in the small town. We are planning to visit on a regular basis. The mountains were so peaceful. I an considering on purchasing a machine only for travel purposes. I have a Bernina at home as that is what my local shop sells. The shop in the mountains sells Janome. The offer great classes. I don't know if I should go with a Vernon's because that's what I'm used to, a Jsnome because that's. Whet the shop in the mountains sells or something entirely different since it wont be my primary machine. I would like to keep the cost at a minimum also.
I have a Bernina at home also. I bought a Brother SQ 9000 at Walmart for about $200. It weighs about 10 pounds. I take it on vacations and to classes.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:05 AM

I purchased a Janome Gem a few years ago to take to workshops. Its light and I haven't had any problems either. But, when I go away for a weekend getaway, I always take my Bernina, I'm more comfortable with it.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:15 AM

Another vote for the Janome Jem. I have the Platinum (about $500), and it's a great little machine. I also have a Janome 6600, so the bobbins and feet are interchangeable. Having a dealer in the area is very important.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:57 AM

The machine I liked for carrying around was my Brother cs6000i from Walmart. Besides being light weight I loved to piece on it. Also it was under $200.00. Can't remember the price for sure because it has been awhile.